VMware Cloud Community
wharris12855
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I backup the virtual machines in the free Esxi 3.5

I am new to vmware and virtual systems.  Server has four virtual servers on  it.  It looks like the datastore has taken all the disk space.  How can I backup each virtual machine so I can upgrade the software to Esxi 4.X?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you want to backup the VM, chose download. Copy would only create a copy of the file on the datastore which wouldn't make sense as a backup.

Btw. you may want to take a look at Veeam's FastSCP if you want to backup the files by downlaoding them to your local ()or shared) disk.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

to first answer your question about backup. Take a look at e.g. ghettoVCB (http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760) for a free backup solution.

Regarding the full datastore. An upgrade to ESXi 4 does not solve this. In most cases a full datastore is caused by snapshots. Please use the datastore browser to find out whether there are vmdk files in the VM's folders with a name like <vmname>-00000x.vmdk.

Which build number of ESXi 3.5 are you running? And how much free disk space do you have on the datastore?

André

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - The simplest way is just treat them as a physical machine and install a backup agent - being the free version you migh not have the necessary compenents to use tools like Vizioncores vRanger or Veeam Backup

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
wharris12855
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Esxi 3.5.0 Build 113338.  Datastore says it has 12.41Gb free.  I have browsed the datastore and there is 1 vmdk file that is about 17 GB.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have browsed the datastore and there is 1 vmdk file that is about 17 GB.

Does this mean one snapshot vmdk with 00000x in the name? If yes, please post a screen shot of the datastore browser windows showing all files with file names, extensions, sizes and time stamps. If this is the only snapshot on the VM there shouldn't be an issue with removing it using the snapshot manager to free up the 17 GB.

Did you already verify whether your hardware is supported for ESXi 4.x? http://www.vmware.com/go/hcl

André

0 Kudos
wharris12855
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server is HP DL380 G5 and processor and hardware is on the hcl.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Even though the "Windows 2003 Standard_2-000001.vmdk" looks like a snapshot of "Windows 2003 Standard_2.vmdk", I think this file is obsolete. Looking at the size and the date/time it seems there was an issue 3 years ago and the file was just left over. To be sure about this, take a look at the VM's HDD properties to see what file is shown for the third HDD. You can also see this in the VM's vmx file or the latest log file. However, you may not be able to view the log file, because it is in use.

Regarding the DL380 G5. To use the latest ESXi version, plan for a firmware upgrade prior to the upgrade. I'd also recommend you take a look at the BIOS and make sure "VT" as well as "No Execute" (in the Processor Options) is enabled. To get best performance with HP servers I also recommend you set the Power Profile options to "High Performance" as shown in this HP Advisory for the G7 (can't find the advisory for the G5 at the moment).

André

0 Kudos
wharris12855
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I have removed the file from the datastore successfully. I tried to download the vmdk’s but it timed out. Can you tell me what update version this is?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I tried to download the vmdk’s but it timed out. 

How did you try to download the files? Was the VM powered off to do this?

For a backup you need all the files (except for the log files) from the folder, not just the vmdk's.

Can you tell me what update version this is?

Not sure what you referring to. Are you asking about your current version?

André

0 Kudos
wharris12855
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM was still powered on.

I was just wondering exactly what version of ESXi am I dealing with. I couldn’t find anything that said 3.5 u5.

Thank you for all your help and taking the time to explain this to me.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are welcome.

I can't tell you the exact version you are running, but it is something prior to Update 3. I did quick a search on my archive disk and the oldest 3.5 version I found was ESXi 3.5.0 Update 3 which was build 123629.

André

0 Kudos
wharris12855
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I right clicked on the file and it gave me an option to download or copy.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you want to backup the VM, chose download. Copy would only create a copy of the file on the datastore which wouldn't make sense as a backup.

Btw. you may want to take a look at Veeam's FastSCP if you want to backup the files by downlaoding them to your local ()or shared) disk.

André

0 Kudos
wharris12855
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess the virtual machine has to powered off to do the download?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that's why I asked whether it was powered off. You cannot copy a file which is in use.

André

0 Kudos