VMware Cloud Community
EssEnn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I add a datastore as an additional drive for a VM?

this is probably really easy but honestly I'm quite a n00b when it comes to networking and sys management. Small company being cheap...

OK I have a HP DL360 G5 running ESXi 3.5 with 2 VM's running. The first is a cloned Win 2003 SMB (I had to rescue the last server days before everything was about to fail), the other is a Win XP VM (which is just sharing one file to 6 users)

The server currently has 2 x 73GB 10K SAS in a RAID 1. I have installed another 73GB 15K drive and it's seen in V:IC, I can add the storage but how do I get the 2003 VM to see the new drive space? I need it to be added as an additional drive, (E:) in this case.

TBH I dont know even if i have added the extra storage correctly other than following the wizard in V:IC.

Any help will be appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If the new drive has been formatted as VMFS3, then you can just edit the settings of the VM and add a disk. Specify that new disk as the location for the new virtual hard disk. You have two options on that screen. Store with VM or specify location. You will need to specify the location. Then you can specify any size you want the new E drive to be. Then from within Windows, open disk management to finish the process.

This will be your easiest route.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If the new drive has been formatted as VMFS3, then you can just edit the settings of the VM and add a disk. Specify that new disk as the location for the new virtual hard disk. You have two options on that screen. Store with VM or specify location. You will need to specify the location. Then you can specify any size you want the new E drive to be. Then from within Windows, open disk management to finish the process.

This will be your easiest route.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
EssEnn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bang on!

Thanks for the very promp reply!

I love this forum

Regards

Mo

0 Kudos