VMware Cloud Community
Pixoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hosting multiple web servers

Hi,

I'm kind of a noob at virtualization. I have a server at home that I use for almost everything (apache/mysql/postfix/...).

I would like to switch to a virtualized architecture and ESXi seems to be a good and simple solution.

But I wonder how to do the following since I have only one public IP :

- 1 ESXi server, 2 VMs

- 1 production VM (myproduction.com)

- 1 development VM (mydevelopment.com).

Is it possible with ESXi ? I mean the dispatch between the two domain names.

Thanks ! Smiley Happy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - probably the easiest way is to create a 3rd VM that will act as your firewall that be assigned the public IP address and then it will route the traffic to the other vMs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - probably the easiest way is to create a 3rd VM that will act as your firewall that be assigned the public IP address and then it will route the traffic to the other vMs -

0 Kudos
Pixoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, ESXi can't manage this work Smiley Sad Ok I hope it won't be too complicated to dispatch with a firewall 😕

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Yosias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yes it can manage those two side by side.

imho what I would suggest is

1. you get yourself a low end machine with NIC and connect it to your switch/router whatever so that it will be in the same network of you dev/prod machines

2. Install ESXi on it

3. give it ip and subnet in same network of your dev/prod machines

4. Convert those two machines prod and dev, do a p2v, physical to virtual conversion using vmware converter (free). (how long can your prod be down?)

5. Once you have successfully converted those two machines, get this "test" host segragated to another network so there is no conflict with the physical machines

6. Test it out

There probably is something simpler than this to segragate the "test" machine. Then is all looks good you can go with a real conversion. But be forwarned plan it right such as backup, remote access to virtual machine via ILO or other remote access methods, etc. You haev to have a documented plan to migrate and all.

0 Kudos
Pixoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's a home server. Nothing vital on it, only some services. But it can be down several days and nobody will die.

But right now I only have one single server that I want to split so the p2v will not do it.

That's not a problem, I was planning a complete new install.

Thanks anyway Smiley Happy

0 Kudos