VMware Cloud Community
drwightman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host CD not active - WinXP Virtual System - Cannot boot from CD to install WinXP

I am new to this product although I have used vmware client some time ago on a Windows system.

I have a basic system P4-24.G Intel chipset with new IDE CD/DVD burners/readers.

These are both on IDE1 and nothing is on IDE2

I have two SATA WD120G drives that are the active disks.

ESXi 3.5 installed OK and I can create a virtual machine using the VMware Infracstructure client.

When I start the machine from the client I am expecting that the host CD/DVD will boot the WinXP CD but it fails

to do so. I have tried the option of using the client CD started on power up but so far I cannot install the WinXP OS

on the virtual machine. I have even disconnected one of the DVD's to limit the scope but that made no difference.

It is almost as if the virtual machine cannot find the CD/DVD drive.

Can anyone suggest a resolution?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I never use physical media (not saying that it doesn't work) - I use iso's. Easiest method I find in situations like yours is to mount the iso for the VM outside of the settings for the VM - you'll see an option to connect cd/dvd in the menu within the VI client.

Another thing - you'll need to connect a buslogic flp image to a floppy drive so the XP VM can see the buslogic controller (so the hard disk can be seen) for the install of the OS.

- this link has a buslogic also.

If you find that you don't have enough time to interact with the boot loader menu - set a delay at startup within the VM settings to 5000ms - this will give you 5 seconds.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I never use physical media (not saying that it doesn't work) - I use iso's. Easiest method I find in situations like yours is to mount the iso for the VM outside of the settings for the VM - you'll see an option to connect cd/dvd in the menu within the VI client.

Another thing - you'll need to connect a buslogic flp image to a floppy drive so the XP VM can see the buslogic controller (so the hard disk can be seen) for the install of the OS.

- this link has a buslogic also.

If you find that you don't have enough time to interact with the boot loader menu - set a delay at startup within the VM settings to 5000ms - this will give you 5 seconds.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos