VMware Cloud Community
AdStar
Contributor
Contributor

Help with network drivers Intel 82567LM Chipset

Hi guys,

I have a new mainboard an intel DQ45CB with a Q9400 cpu, 8GB ram

I've tried to install ESXi but can't seem to get the network card to work.

I've gone over the whole lspci side of things the Class ID is 8086:10de the chipset is 82567LM

I tried updating simple.map and pci.ids to suit using the e1000 but it didn't detect it, I tried the e1000e from the community oem.tgz again no luck, just trying to figure out where to go from here.

Do I try the ESX driver?

Is there any docco on setting up a base build to compile our own drivers for ESXi?

Intel's site has

Intels document.write("The e1000e.x.x.x.x.tar.gz is a Linux* Base Driver designed to work with the Intel® 82571/2/3/4 PCI-E family of gigabit adapters and 82566/7 controllers.

This driver is intended for 2.4.18 through 2.6.x kernels.

This driver includes support for Itanium® 2-based and Intel® EM64T systems.

If your adapter/connection is not an 82571, 82572, 82573, 82574, 82566 or 82567-based you should use one of the following drivers.

• igb-x.x.x.tar.gz driver supports all Intel® 82575/6-based gigabit network adapters/connections.

• e1000-x.x.x.tar.gz driver supports all Intel® 8254x-based PCI and PCI-X gigabit network adapters/connections.")The

e1000e.x.x.x.x.tar.gz 82571/2/3/4 PCI-E family of gigabit adapters and 82566/7

controllers.

This driver is intended for 2.4.18 through 2.6.x kernels.

This driver includes support for Itanium® 2-based and Intel® EM64T systems.

If

your adapter/connection is not an 82571, 82572, 82573, 82574, 82566 or

82567-based you should use one of the following drivers.

• igb-x.x.x.tar.gz driver supports all Intel® 82575/6-based gigabit network adapters/connections.

• e1000-x.x.x.tar.gz driver supports all Intel® 8254x-based PCI and PCI-X gigabit network adapters/connections.

Based on that I AM using an 82567 adapter I should be using the e1000e module. The version is 0.5.8.2

Does anyone have an idea on how I can get this latest driver?

Cheers

Ad

0 Kudos
21 Replies
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ad,

I don't have a solution for your onboard adapter, but just curious to see if you managed to resolve the issue at all. The 82567LM is on the DX58SO (the Core i7 board) as well.

the one immediate fix I can give you that I know does work is to just install a PCI Intel adapter. I personally use the Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapters and they work a treat. it's 82541 based.

I use them in any whitebox build I do where the onboard NIC is not detected.

cheers, wizdude

0 Kudos
grcumm
Contributor
Contributor

I just decided to test ESXi 4.0.0-164009 and 3.5.0u4-153875 on a name brand PC with an Intel Q43 chipset and the 82567LM network onboard. The networking was the only thing that didn't work out of the box on 3.5 was the networking but everything worked on 4.0.

CORRECTION: The networking was the only thing that didn't work out of the box on 3.5 but everything worked on 4.0.

To get 3.5 to work, I started looking at then saw a link to which contains the e1000e driver needed then followed (roughly) to tweak it, editing simple.map and pci.ids. After rebooting, clearing all settings then rebooting again it worked. It may have worked the first boot but it at least didn't react quickly enough.

Relevant lines

-simple.map:

8086:10de 0000:0000 network e1000

-pci.ids:

10de 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

Overall, I'd recommend moving to 4.0.0-164009.

Edit: Text of first paragraph, second sentence is unclear; clarifying

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to intall esx 4.0 on the DQ45CB board ?

I'm trying to install, and each time the installation / ESX-OS does not recognize the NIC's link (ethtool reports no link, installation shows NIC as disconnected, no IP address acquiring).

Zeevik.

0 Kudos
grcumm
Contributor
Contributor

No, unfortunately I don't have access to anything based on the Q45.

Have you tried searching based on the PCI ids of your device? Would you be able to post the PCI information for your networking on that board? I'd recommend the output from lspci with the option -nn which changes the default output from bus location, type and name to also add the primary PCI ids.

Output from mine:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10de] (rev 02)

8086:10de is the key.

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

lspci provides the same response on my machines.

in simple.map file, 8086:10de is mapped to e1000e.o driver

in pci.ids, 82567-LM3 is mapped 8086:10de

so everything seems as it should be.

And yet, no traffic is coming from this NIC.

Any ideas ?

Zeevik.

0 Kudos
grcumm
Contributor
Contributor

Have you taken a look at the logs? If you search for the string "e1000e" it should say that it attached to a PCI device ("PCI: driver e1000e claimed device 0000:00:19.0"). Have you tried resetting all customizations (hopefully you have none that really matter yet)? It's possible it's holding a customization with the networking that's breaking things.

Also, have you verified (without changing any hardware variables including network cabling, except boot media) that your network is fully functional? It's possible that your network controller just recently died or is experiencing other difficulty.

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I've just took a second look at the logs, and all seems fine (driver loaded, claims one device, etc), exactly as you stated.

If I understand you correctly, no customizations were done (assuming you're refering to the ESX install process. It was all next, next, next ...)

Zeevik.

0 Kudos
grcumm
Contributor
Contributor

Correct. I just now wiped the hard drive clean and tried again and it was perfect. If you search the system log for 'e1000e' you should see '0.4.1.7-NAPI' on one of the lines, indicating the driver version.

I'd assume you're using ESXi 4.0.0-164009 and have tried using an alternate operating system natively on the system to verify functionality of your network card. Is this correct?

Have you tried manually configuring the "Management Network" and/or verified that ESXi is grabbing the correct NIC (as seen by its MAC address "(vmnic0 (XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX)")?

Have you tried resetting all customizations (just in case)? With 3.5.0u4-153875, I found that I had to reset things before the networking configured itself automatically even though I never did any customizations.

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Grcumm,

If I understand correctly, a simple installation of ESXi 4.0.0-164009 on DQ45CB worked for you, with the onboard NIC ?

Did you have to install any custom driver, or such ?

I'm trying to install ESX 4.0 with no success Smiley Sad

I installed Win-XP SP2, everything was working fine, network was successfully installed and I could browse the internet. On the Win I installed the latest Intel driver, hoping it might upgrade the NIC's firmware if needed.

Then installed ESX 4.0.0 again (clean install from DVD) with no success - NIC is identified correctly, PCI ids are OK, driver e1000e is associated, '0.4.1.7-NAPI' appears in the log line.

the only issue is that the card reports no link. Tried 3 different SW (Nortel, Linksys, Checkpoint FW) , tried manual settings.

Card LEDs are flashing as expected, but system reports no link.

should there be any difference between ESXi and ESX for this issue ?

Zeevik

(which is Getting really dipressed...)

0 Kudos
grcumm
Contributor
Contributor

I have a system based on the Q43 chipset, not the Q45 chipset and it is not an official Intel-branded board like yours. It's a Dell OptiPlex 760.

I apologize I didn't read your original post closely enough. ESX versus ESXi: There should be no difference in what hardware it supports since they should be based on the same code, 4.0.0-164009. Have you tried ESXi? I just tried ESX from scratch and it also worked with no issues.

OffTopic: Most paths for purchasing ESX aren't exactly cheap (except vSphere Essentials (Plus)) and you'll probably have zero support (except through the community and web searches) as you're on an unsupported platform (even though you paid for it). Why do you want to try ESX versus ESXi? Do you have some agent that requires ESX? Are you attempting to use the web-management in ESX?

0 Kudos
grcumm
Contributor
Contributor

Also, you're looking at vmnic0 and not eth0, correct? I believe both ESX and ESXi, the service console sees the first NIC as vmnic0 not eth0. I know ESX does (staring at it right now) and I'm all but certain of this on ESXi as it indicated vmnic0 through the normal console interface (I never checked in TSM).

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

As my company is in the appliance development area, ESX provides better env.

vmnic0 it is, of course.

I really appreciate the time and effor you put in, trying to help me solve this issue !!

0 Kudos
boogieshafer
Expert
Expert

i can report that i also had the problem with the 82567L chipset under ESX 4.0 (175625) where the NIC was recognized, driver loaded, but it would never indicate link on the NIC in ESX even though at the hardware level the port did show link established

the same hardware running the installable version of ESXi 4.0 (also build 175625) did work correctly. The name of the NIC ware reported differently in the network adapters area of VC under ESXi (NIC was identified by "DeskTop Board D975XBX" instead of "82567L" as it was shown in same interface under ESX

at least specific to this hardware the ESXi environment seems to have better driver support

0 Kudos
vsurve
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i am a tech support eng. @ vmware.

I have been watching this thread closely for couple of days.....

I was facing the same problem with my intel DQ board and 82567LM onboard adatper wich uses e1000e.

installed vsphere but could not get connected to host coz of network adapter had no connectivity.

install is perfect with right mapping to e1000e driver .

Then after a re-search found a strange issue.

MSI is enabled on this adapter.

Solution :

This issue may occur if the Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode is enabled.

To disable MSI mode:

Run the following command:

esxcfg-module -s IntMode=0,0,0,0 e1000e

Note: IntMode=0,0,0,0 refers to 4 ports; IntMode=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 refers to 8 ports.

Reboot the server.

And your 82567LM network card is up n running....

Cheers !!!

0 Kudos
vsurve
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i am a tech support eng. @ vmware.

I have been watching this thread closely for couple of days.....

I was facing the same problem with my intel DQ board and 82567LM onboard adatper wich uses e1000e.

installed vsphere but could not get connected to host coz of network adapter had no connectivity.

install is perfect with right mapping to e1000e driver .

Then after a re-search found a strange issue.

MSI is enabled on this adapter.

Solution :

This issue may occur if the Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode is enabled.

To disable MSI mode:

Run the following command:

esxcfg-module -s IntMode=0,0,0,0 e1000e

Note: IntMode=0,0,0,0 refers to 4 ports; IntMode=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 refers to 8 ports.

Reboot the server.

And your 82567LM network card is up n running....

Cheers

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update.

Currently, I don't have such hardware to verify that, but once I'll do, I will try this solution.

BTW, what OS did you use ESX 4.0 or ESXi 4.0 ?

Thanks,

Zeevik.

0 Kudos
vsurve
Contributor
Contributor

I am using ESX 4.0.

0 Kudos
davercyclone
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

I too had this problem in our Lab, I was resorting to putting NIC Cards into the machine but it was a pain.

Using the command: esxcfg-module -s IntMode=0,0,0,0 e1000e worked a treat and everything is working fine now.

Thanks

David Robertson

0 Kudos
Petter_Lindgren
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same strange networking problem with an IBM x3850 server and two dual port Intel cards.

Tried everything before I found this thread and kb1010313.

Thanks!

0 Kudos