VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help with ESXi install

Guys,

Here are my hardware spec:

I have a Asus 5PK-E board. I am using Intel ICH9R with the onboard NIC. My Intel Pro/1000 GT NIC which I ordered is coming today.

The install has been successful. When I go into Configure Management Network, I am not able to enter or doing anything else. The only option I have is Restsore Network (F11 or ESC). Does this mean my onboard NIC is not recognized by the system (hence, thats why I ordered the Intel card)

I see the IP lists as 0.0.0.0 with localhost

Also, where do i download the VMware Infastructure Client?

TIA,

Tnt

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Look like it is the case that the onboard NIC has not been recognized. Usually on the Configure Management Network screen you would at least see vmnic0 listed on the right part of the screen.

When you get the new NIC, just plug it in and ESXi should recognize it automatically.

What sort of onboard NIC does it have?

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave,

It is a Marvell Yukon :).

Tnt

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

This is what ESXi can recognize - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As soon as I inserted the Intel NIC and disable the onboard NIC, the ESXi recognized Intel NIC.

I tried to add a second NIC (3Com - 3c905-tx), which is listed on the link but it doesn't work. Any idea? Do I have to install a driver? If so, how do I go about?

Maybe buy a second Intel and install in the fly?

Tnt

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I'd check the PCI id for the 3com card against the list above and see if it is listed.

0 Kudos