VMware Cloud Community
drakain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help setting up VLAN to Physical network

I am having some troubles getting my physical machines connected to my VM Servers in my lab environment and I was hoping someone can point me out to a few things I can check out.

My current setup is as follows;

Host machine; HP xw8600 Workstation with 2 NICs

NIC A is connected to my production network and is only setup as a VMKernel Port for managing the host.

NIC B is dedicated to my Virtual environment and I have a VLAN setup to use this to connect via a small Linksys switch to my other xw8600 Workstation

I have a few Windows Server 2008 Enterprise VMs setup on my VLAN. One of my VMs is set as the Domain Controller with DHCP configured. My other Server 2008 machine is providing the role of SCCM 2007 Server for deploying images. I am to connect and push Vista images to another VM on the VLAN without a problem. Now, I would like to connect a physical machine to my imaging process but when I plug my physical machine into the switch I am not getting an IP Address from my Server 2008 Domain Controller VM.

On a side note, my other workstation is hosting a secondary Virtual environment that is able to my initial VM environment. I am wondering issue is a DHCP issue or if it's a physical limitation of how I have setup my environment. If anyone can offer some suggestions I would be very grateful.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
1x1x1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

remover the vlan number from the vnic config

if there aren't vlans on the real switch then theres no point in having vlans on the vswitch

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does the port that NIC B is connected to on the switch have a VLAN assigned? Is the port that you are connecting the physical machine to a member of the same VLAN? If the VLAN's are only configured on the ESX box and not the physical switch then this will likely not work.

0 Kudos
drakain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've assigned my VLAN with the ID 99. Also the Linksys switch is a simple 8-port Gigabit switch SD2008 I have no done any configuration on the switch at all.

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Remove the VLAN configuration from the ESX server and things should start working.

drakain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I go about that?

There is no option in ESXi to connect directly to the NIC. I have to create a vSwitch and the vSwitch is assigned to a NIC.

0 Kudos
1x1x1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

remover the vlan number from the vnic config

if there aren't vlans on the real switch then theres no point in having vlans on the vswitch

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Edit the virtual machine port group and remove the VLAN number.

drakain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have removed the LAN IDs from my networks and it works now! Thanks everyone. Now I have to solve my DHCP issues. DHCP is assigning IPs within the VLAN but any machine connected outside of the VLAN is not being assigned IPs

0 Kudos
drakain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NM, I sorted out all the issues. We didn't have zero touch configured properly for the SCCM environment so everything looks good now. Thanks again to everyone on the suggestions. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos