VMware Cloud Community
sneci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help me to not get fired :( !!!

Hi All,

I'm afraid I made a bad progress...

I wanted to add a new iSCSI Target to our ESXi server to use more cable to reach our SAN.

Somehow it didn't work..not a problem....

Then I pushed remove for the new Target in the Storage Adapters

> iSCSI Initiator > Dymanic Discover.

After this a window came up saying "A configuration change requiring a reboot occured. Restart the host."

I assume the OK button will restart the ESXi.

It's ok, but can I be sure this will not broke the currently used LUNs? There is 3 of them with important VMs...

This Target where these LUNs sits is same as it was, I didn't change anything. I think the system should see them after reboot just as before.

Did any of you make this before? Can I just restart it and VMs will be visible and operational?

If we would lose them I can start to pack my stuff....

I'm looking forward for your answers!

Sneci

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chrisAMS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

as it was a new LUN nothing is on it so you should not loose anything.

Your other VM are on other LUN correct ?

So for me it should be OK.

But still, if it is so critic why dont you buy an external hardrive (cost nothing today) and make a backup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not sure havent had that scenario before.

ENSURE THERE IS AN UP TO DATE BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!:D

Andy, VCP,

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Backup those VMs as a precaution. Don't reboot til you take a clean backup. If your SAN allows, backup (copy/replicate) those LUNS if you want a faster backup

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
sneci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know....we should have some tape back-up system in place to have a secure copy of every data. Sadly we haven't .

The SAN Raid array should be the which secures the data.

Let's put the guestion in an other way.

If by accidently the ESXi lose the iSCSI configuration, but the LUNs are in place in the SAN can I re-attach them without re-format them?

So to see the data how it was visible before.

Thanks anyway!

Sneci

0 Kudos
alex555550
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hy,

use the Rescan button. Do not use the button to add storage!!

0 Kudos
chrisAMS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Have you only delete the "wrong" LUN or all of them ?

Normally you can reboot without any problems.

Why dont you copy your VM to another external disk for instance to cover you in case of problem.

Good luck,

Chris

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

what is sounds like is that you have removed the iSCSI initiator from the host and as such should be safe to reboot, however to be safe, make sure that you backup the VM's on the iSCSI Targets, if you have some how deleted the LUN's you will be OK until the reboot of all the hosts, as they are curently holding a lock on the targets.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
sneci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm getting confused...

Let me show what I did to make sure I'm not expalinig it in a bad way.

This screenshuts were made from 2nd VI Console. The one where I removed the iSCSI target it still waiting to push ok on the rebot window.

The vSwitch.gif shows that I added vmnic3 network adapter to the VMkernel port. This port is also a direct connection between the ESXi and SAN just like the vmnic2 there the system uses the 3 existing LUN.

Then on the DynDisk.gif I added the 192.168.130.103:3260 which is the IP of the other SAN network adapter. (you can not see it in this picture probably because the removing is in progress in an other console. )

After this I expected to see an other iSCSI target by the ISCSI software adapter Details. But there was nothing new so I pushed remove for the new 192.168.130.103:3260 target.

Then the Reboot required window came up and I started to worry that this opertion will take some effect on the LUNs which are used on the 192.168.130.101:3260 Target.

Maybe my fear is foolish, but we don't have enough storage space to backup all the VMs are currently up on the server.

Regarding this detailed infos, do you still think that I will not lose any data after reboot?

Regards,

Sneci

0 Kudos
chrisAMS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

as it was a new LUN nothing is on it so you should not loose anything.

Your other VM are on other LUN correct ?

So for me it should be OK.

But still, if it is so critic why dont you buy an external hardrive (cost nothing today) and make a backup.

0 Kudos
sneci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank Guys for all of your answers!

0 Kudos