VMware Cloud Community
robkelley
Contributor
Contributor

Help.. datastores showing as empty...

Hi

I have ESXi 3.5.0 110180.

Started having some problems when trying to create a new VM and it failed, I rebooted the host and now my iSCSI datastores have dissapeared but more importantly the local datastore is showing as empty when it should have approx 10 VM's in.

If I try and create a new folder it doesn't give an error but neither does it create the folder.

I has SSH'd onto the box and it also shows the VMFS datastore as empty, I know for a fact it isn't.

What can I check or do to get my local DS contents back?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VMrOxALL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like the VMFS partition table is corrupted.  Had there been an uexpected outage?  The same can happen weather the VMFS datastroe is local or remote storage.

This article should help determine if the partition table is corrupted and how to fix it.

http://www.virtualizationteam.com/virtualization-vmware/vmware-vi3-virtualization-vmware/vmware-esx-...

I hope this helps.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
robkelley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that fixed the corrupt PT but still no data and I still cannot create folders etc.

0 Kudos
VMrOxALL
Contributor
Contributor

Did you reboot the hosts after you recreated the partition table?

~Jeremy

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Don't add or change anything untill you get access to the data. Any changes you make could corrupt existing data.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i would suggest creating a vmware support call asap and let the expert fix it for you. any wrong steps made would the whole datastore useless.

0 Kudos
VMrOxALL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Robkelly,

I know this is a late post, but I'm curious to the outcome of resolving the datastore issue.  Were you able to solve it and what did you do?

~Jeremy

0 Kudos