VMware Cloud Community
powermann
Contributor
Contributor

Help Answering some vmware questions

Hi guys. I have been asked answer a few questions about vmware. I need your help. I would really appreciate if you can help me with them.

1. You are in an enterprise scenario, what tool would you

use to manage your vmware environment.

2. You have assigned the same IP to your VMKernel and your

Service Console; is this recommended by vmware?

3. On one of your VM’s you are running out of disk

space. Your esx server has 100 gigs of

space free. How do you increase the disk

space on the VM?

4. Your network uses vlan’s and you have 20 esx servers that

have 8 vm’s each on them.

Each esx server can support a max of 8 vm’s each.

For security reasons, you have been tasked of placing groups of vm’s onto

separate vlan.

140 servers are to be on the same vlan. 5 sets of 4 vm’s each will reside on their

own unique vlan.

Management needs you to put together and present your plan

on how to accomplish this task. Please

state how you would accomplish this task.

(assume the switching fabric is cisco and can be designed to your

specifications)

5. How many virtual NIC’s can you assign to a VM thru ESX?

6. You are installing ESX server. What is the base OS/kernel?

7. In ESX, From the Command Line what command would you issue to see

the current firewall configuration

8. In ESX, what command line tool will allow you to automate VM

manipulations tasks such as shutting it down or taking a snapshot

9. What license type do you require to enable clustering and

vmotion? Foundation license or Standard License.

Power

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Umm, these look like homework questions to me....

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums.

1. You are in an enterprise scenario, what tool would youuse to manage your vmware environment.

vCenter Server - but in part this would depend on your needs. In most cases your management would center around vCenter but you might have addiitional VMware or 3rd part tools to round out your managment needs.

2. You have assigned the same IP to your VMKernel and your Service Console; is this recommended by vmware?

With ESX you can have a service conole port and vmvkernel port and those have to be unique IPs. With ESXi there is no service console port. Management of your host is done over a vmkernel port, but you can have additional vmkernel ports for HA, vmotion, iSCSI / NFS storage. Each vmkernel port requires a unique IP address.

.3. On one of your VM’s you are running out of disk space. Your esx server has 100 gigs of space free. How do you increase the disk space on the VM?

You would increase the size of the VMDK for the VM and then use a partitioning tools in the VM to increase the drive to fill the rest of the virtual HB.

4. Your network uses vlan’s and you have 20 esx servers that have 8 vm’s each on them.

Each esx server can support a max of 8 vm’s each.

Just curious but why do you say 8 VMs per host? Depending on the VMs and the ESXi host hardware you could go much higher.

For security reasons, you have been tasked of placing groups of vm’s onto separate vlan.

140 servers are to be on the same vlan. 5 sets of 4 vm’s each will reside on their own unique vlan.

Management needs you to put together and present your plan on how to accomplish this task. Please state how you would accomplish this task. (assume the switching fabric is cisco and can be designed to your specifications)

You would create virtual vswitches consists of one or more NIC ports (for redundancy). You then create virtual machine port groups within the vSwitches. When you create VM port group you can assign a VLAN id to it. VMs assigned to that VM port group will use the VLAN id assigned to it. The ports the vSwitches are connected to have to be setup as trunk ports (to support more than on VLAN). That's a very simple answer to what can be a complex answer.

You can assign up to 4. A VM can have up to 6 PCI devices - 2 are taken up by the video card and storage controller, so you could have 5 NICs if the VM didn't need a HD :).

6. You are installing ESX server. What is the base OS/kernel?

ESX / ESXi is the base OS. The vmkernel runs directly on hardware (and as an aside it is not based on Linux). ESX uses a Linux VM for management, but ESXi does not have that.

7. In ESX, From the Command Line what command would you issue to see the current firewall configuration

See www.vmware-land.com for a summary of esx* commands or if you search of esxcfg-firewall you should find something.

8. In ESX, what command line tool will allow you to automate VM manipulations tasks such as shutting it down or taking a snapshot

See above and search for vmware-cmd.

9. What license type do you require to enable clustering and vmotion? Foundation license or Standard License.

For clustering (HA) you need standard, but for vmotion you actually need Enterprise. For both you also need a vCenter server license.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

Dave had answered all the questions here

:smileygrin:

Craig

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
powermann
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks much Guys. I need this for a questionnaire for job interview!

Power

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like they should hire Dave M - :smileycool:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I hope for your sake the interviewer does not frequent these forums, as You may have just lucked out.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
NarayanCharan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You can find good interview questions in the following link

http://www2.isupportyou.net/2010/06/vmware-interview-questions-tips.html

And other aricles and videos related to Virtualization at http://www2.isupportyou.net/

If you like this answer please vote for me Smiley Happy

Regards

Charan.B

VCP4, MCSE, SCSA

Administrator

isupportyou.net

Regards Charan.B VCP4, MCSE, SCSA Administrator isupportyou.net
0 Kudos
Vfreak07
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for answering the questions Dave!!!

I was curious about this questions:

I believe we can assign 10 NIC's isnt it?

PS: Like if this was helpful!
0 Kudos
Abukar
Contributor
Contributor

Did you consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful?

0 Kudos