VMware Cloud Community
learnlearn
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware selection for home VM lab

Hi All,

I'm looking to build a new home virtual lab, primarily for SQL server databases. Its just a lab for home practice etc. The server that I'm looking to purchase is a HP G5 ML110 server with 8GB RAM, Dual core CPU. I am not sure if a dual core CPU will be sufficient for the number of VM's that I want to have on the server, I am looking to have 4-5. 1 domain controller and 3-4 dedicated database servers. Any advice.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DCjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I will recommmend you build you own whitebox.

See link for options http://www.vm-help.com//esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php.

I built mine, which runs 24GB RAM and a quad core CPU.

Jay

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

I am loathe to share this information because I really dislike Apple.

You could buy a Mac Pro Server and install Fusion. Then you can build pretty much any sort of environment you want as you can build virtual ESXi servers under fusion, then treat these ESXi servers as your base environment and create a fully featured vSphere on top of it. As much as I dislike Apple I have to say that a friend of mine has this setup and it is pretty awesome.

If I didn't have spare servers lying around and needed an environment that was built from scratch I would probably do this. It isn't the cheapest option, but it will empower you to build a replica of a very large corporate environment.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos