0x0x0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP DL380G4 array expansion and ESXi 3.5U3

I'm running ESXi build 143129

I just added 2 more 72gb 15k harddrives to my home server

booted into the smartstart CD and expanded the array to use all 6 drives

now how do I get ESXi to see all of the new logical drive?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yup that's right, in this case you've to do a backup and a restore or reinstall ESX, you could expand your partitions and filesystems online if ESX use LVM, but that's not the case.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
0x0x0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me clearify

It can still see the drive but donesn't see the additional capacity

0 Kudos
jiths
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have to expand the filesystem inorder to see the additional capacity. The Linux offers some commands like "resize2fs" to do the same. As far as my knowledge ESX so far hasn't provided any such features in VMFS filesystem.

I recommend you back up your VMFS partition and then again create a new VMFS partition. I think will allow you to use complete parition space.

Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As jiths said you cannot expand a VMFS file system. You would need to destroy and recreate the VMFS Datastore to use the new space.

Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yup that's right, in this case you've to do a backup and a restore or reinstall ESX, you could expand your partitions and filesystems online if ESX use LVM, but that's not the case.

0 Kudos