VMware Cloud Community
BigDaddyO
Contributor
Contributor

HP DC7900 Unable to find a supported device to write...

So, I just purchased a new desktop for work specifically because it was cheaper than buying a new laptop and I want to run ESXi on it. This is the comptuer CDW Link

I am getting the horrible message Unable to find a supported device to write the VMware ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 image to.

I tried all the info I could find on the dc7700 and dc7800 but it still doesn't see the drive.

I hit the Alt+F1 and did a fdisk -l but nothing was returned.

As it stands right now. I have the SATA set to IDE and plugged into the light blue SATA port. i have disabled the internal NIC and replaced with a 3COM nic. Still no go. anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

1) Is your SATA controller listed as supported, either in the VMware HCL or on one of the ESX whitebox sites?

2) If your SATA controller does work with ESXi, it almost certainly will NOT work in IDE mode - ESXi will not install to IDE disks - they must be SATA or SCSI. Put the controller into SATA mode and see if it works any better that way.

0 Kudos
BigDaddyO
Contributor
Contributor

The only HCL I can find just has Server brands and models on it. Where can I find a list of actual hardware?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Mike, welcome to the VMware Community forums. Take a look here.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

If you go to that page, you can search for it under the Storage/SAN guide, or use the link on the right-hand side of the page to download the complete Storage/SAN guide.

0 Kudos
BigDaddyO
Contributor
Contributor

using your link, i found Intel ICH10 I hope this one will work since i have an Intel ICH10D

Only down side is that I can not figure out how to replace the oem.tgz with the updated one listed on that link.

I can't modify the iso file because it says it's full. I can't get the iso loaded onto the USB drive so I can modify then boot and install from that.

i'm just getting so frustrated with this. I'm very close to just loading my VMware workstation license on the Vista OS that came with this PC and just say F-it.

0 Kudos
MartinNeu
Contributor
Contributor

SATA 4 works with Build 123 629 after Update to 153 875, you don't will have a Store, also you can't creat one.

Install Build 123 629 again, Repair the Store and create new Maschines, (Custume)

Best regard Martin

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos