VMware Cloud Community
gavinscott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guests see Cores as Cores or Separate CPUs?

If I install a Windows 7 guest under ESXi 3.7 Update 4, will I be able to get it to user four CPU cores (out of the eight in my two E5520s), or does ESXi make each core look like a separate CPU, in which case if Windows 7 is limited to two CPUs then I would not be able to get more than two cores effectively allocated to it?

Thanks,

G.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Each core will be seen by the guest o/s as a seperate cpu - so if you assign two virtual cpus to a vm than they will run on two cores -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Each core will be seen by the guest o/s as a seperate cpu - so if you assign two virtual cpus to a vm than they will run on two cores -

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

correct, each VM will be limited to their maximum configuration. They will be treated a separate CPU, not cores.

Hope that makes sense

gavinscott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Seems like this behavior rather screws anyone using software that is licensed per-CPU.

G.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Many software vendors have licensing provisions to deal with this.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As pointed out the ISV's do deal with this usually by licensing to virtual cpu - so a vm with a single virtual cpu will be licensed for one cpu even though it might be running on an 8 CPU quad core box -

0 Kudos
gavinscott
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, but I'd like to use something licensed for two CPUs that would be happy to use 4 or 8 cores on those CPUs, such as any of the workstation versions of Windows, or computer-intensive software packages that are also license limited by CPU but not by core.

G.

0 Kudos