VMware Cloud Community
evangrimmett
Contributor
Contributor

Getting file from /tmp????

Having an issue on an HS21XM blade with embedded ESXi, and IBM support wants me to run a log file and send it to them. They gave me directions on running the log file, but nothing on how to get the file off the ESXi server. Anybody got any suggestions?

VIP/VAC

VIP/VAC
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Did they have you access the tech support console for this? If so, then you could copy the file from /tmp to /vmfs/volumes/ and then get the file via the data store browser in the VI client.

0 Kudos
evangrimmett
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, from the tech console. Can't copy it to the datastore as it's embedded ESXi with no local storage, and the issue is that the hosts won't see the SAS storage.

VIP/VAC

VIP/VAC
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

There is an scp client at the console. One can enable SSH to the host, but since this is production I wouldn't recommend it.

evangrimmett
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, that got it. Didn't realize you could SCP to the ESXi host. Thanks.

VIP/VAC

VIP/VAC
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe you can also use the RCLI to put/get files without having to enable or login to the ESXi host. Though yes, you can scp files in/out of ESXi.

0 Kudos
evangrimmett
Contributor
Contributor

I would have thought there was a way to do it with RCLI, but I couldn't find it in the documentation. Maybe I just didn't search for the right term.

VIP/VAC

VIP/VAC
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you have VIMA, it's the following:

/usr/lib/vmware-viperl/apps/fileaccess.pl and there is an operation to Get or Put files from the ESXi Host or ESX Host

Synopsis: ./fileaccess.pl OPTIONS

Command-specific options:
   --datacentername
      Name of the datacenter
   --datastorename
      Name of the datastore
   --filetype
      [datastore|config|tmp]
   --localpath
      localpath
   --operation (required, default 'browse')
      Type of Operation [Get|Put|Browse]
   --remotefilename
      Remote path of virtual center or ESX server
   --remotepath
      Remote path of virtual center or ESX server

0 Kudos