VMware Cloud Community
anometric01
Contributor
Contributor

General system error occured: internal error

Dear all,

When I want to start creating a new virtual machine on my host, this error message is generated:

General system error occured: internal error.

I guessed that was the same problem where I got an email for, called EXTREMELY URGENT PROBLEM WITH ESX/ESXi 3.5 Update 2 - FIFTH UPDATE

So I followed the instructions and since I already had the version 3.5.0 build 103909 of the Vmware ESX server, it was only necessary to install the express patch. I downloaded the VMware ESXi 3.5 Update 2 Patch but I was unable to read the KB 1006670 document because it is simply giving the following error message:

Address Not Found. Kb2.vmware.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

So I tried applying the patch withouth the instructions. When typing the following command under DOS ( remoteinstall -h --vmware.xxx.xxx.com -h --username -p --password) the following error message is generated:

The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for.

I added the hostname vmware.xxx.xxx.com in our DNS records, but it didn't work. I also put it in my hosts file, but even after a reboot it still didn't work. Could anybody help me with this issue?

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Gunther

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

If you have a machine with the VI Client installed, I highly suggest that you make sure you installed the VI Update component and use the graphical updater tool to update your ESXi server. It will contact the ESXi server(s), determine what patches need to be installed, download those patches from the VMware site, transfer them to the host, and install them.

0 Kudos
leofonic
Contributor
Contributor

You could try kb.vmware.com (not kb2) to access knowledgebase documents.

Instructions on different methods to update are here:

Method number one is the best IMHO, contrary to the How-To "Check now" does work, just select the host in the hosts-tab and click apply, then all necessary patches wil be downloaded automatically.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

contrary to the How-To "Check now" does work,

It's been updated. Thanks for noticing that.

0 Kudos
anometric01
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved! Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos