VMware Cloud Community
tjb627
Contributor
Contributor

Fresh ESXi 3.5 Update 3 Install, can't connect from VI Client

Like the title says, I have a brand new ESXi 3.5 Update 3 install and I have the VI Client version 2.5.0 already installed on my desktop PC from a different ESX project. If I enter the IP of my brand new ESXi server into the VI Client and try to log in as root, I get an error message that says "The required client support files need to be retrieved from the server and installed. Press the download button to proceed." and tries to update the VI Client. When I click the download button as instructed, I get another error message immediately that says "The required client support files cannot be retrieved from the server. The login process will now exit. Details: The server could not interpret the client's request." Also, if I try to navigate to the ESXi server by putting the IP into my web browser, I get the welcome page but if I click the "Download VMWare Infrastructure Client" link, absolutely nothing happens. This is my first time ever installing ESX so apparently I am missing something, can anybody point me in the right direction as to what I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you point a web browser at your ESX host can you download the VI Client files and manually install them?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tjb627
Contributor
Contributor

No. I have tried clicking the Download link from the Welcome page and I have also tried copying the link location and and directly pasting that link into my browser and neither will point me to the installer. Either way, like I mentioned, I already have the VI client from a previous project and it will not connect.

Also, I should mention that I obtained a serial key from VMware, but I cannot find how to enter that serial number into my ESXi server. From what I have researched, I need to connect to the server from the VI client first in order to do that.

0 Kudos
tjb627
Contributor
Contributor

Is the 2.5.0 VI client capable of connecting to ESXi 3.5 Update 3? or do I need a newer version of the VI client? I also checked the ESXi cd that I used for the install and I cannot locate the VI client on that cd.

0 Kudos
tjb627
Contributor
Contributor

After I upgraded the VI client by downloading a newer version from VMware's website, I was able to get this working.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Glad to hear that = not sure why you could not download form the ESX host -

0 Kudos