VMware Cloud Community
andersons
Contributor
Contributor

Free ESXi Installed but won't connect to network

So I downloaded the iso file from vmware.com, burned it onto a cd using ISO Image Recorder and booted from the cd on my computer. I followed all of the installation steps as described in the guide and everything looked just like in the installation guide. When the install was complete, I removed the CD & rebooted the computer. While the direct console was loading, everything seemed to be loading correctly except one message came up that said, "lvm driver failed to load with" (the rest was truncated). Then the regular direct console page loaded but this is what it says in the grey part at the top, "VMware ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 build-103909 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz 4 GB Memory", & in the yellow part at the bottom, "Download tools to manage this host from: (STATIC)"

Then I hit F2 and set my root password, but when I went to Configure Management Network, it said, "Hostname: localhost IP Address: 0.0.0.0" When I hit Enter to edit the settings, the only option it gave me was "Restore Network Factory Settings" and to hit F11 (Yes) or Esc (No). When I hit F11, it took me back to the direct console, but nothing changed (even when I rebooted) I also tried Restart Management Network and Test Management Network and nothing changed.

It seems to me that the problem is in the lvm driver failing to load, but I don't know how to fix that. I have rebooted several times, taken the computer off the network and rebooted, put it on a different LAN and rebooted, etc. If I can't get it to connect and assign an IP address, I can't connect to the Server via VI CLient.

I do know that before I installed ESXi, I was able to network and connect to the internet so the problem is not in the network.

Can anyone help me? I need to get this set up and working as soon as possible. Our development is waiting on this.

I can give more information if needed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
39 Replies
andersons
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so I have determined that my onboard NIC is an Intel 82566 which should be supported according to that list. I know that the other NIC is not supported. But shouldn't I be able to set the computer to boot from the onboard NIC? When I go into the BIOS to try to set this, and go to Configuration>Peripheral Configuration> I have the onboard LAN enabled. I'm not sure if I need to change something else. Otherwise, I'll just switch out my CNET NIC for the Intel PRO/1000 GT.

0 Kudos
YLui-at-Resolve
Contributor
Contributor

I'm facing the exact same issue.

The machine is great, everything installed and running

Just the NIC card problem

It is able to detect and identify the NICs installed, but is not using either of them to get an IP

probably because the are not "compatible" ? although recognized and identified by the server?

One is a build in Realtek Giga LAN

and the other is another generic NIC

I'm trying to get some old 3Com and Intel NIC on it, to see if it works with those.

I just find it ironic, that it knows what is installed, but it wont use them?

0 Kudos
andersons
Contributor
Contributor

YAY!!

I installed a new Intel Pro/1000 GT card & rebooted the computer & everything seemed to load correctly. I am configuring it with static IP, etc addresses but I'm not sure what the host name should be (default is localhost.localdomain). What should I fill in there?

0 Kudos
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

put in the fully qualified name for the ESXi host, ie: esx1.andersons.com or esx.anderson.local

0 Kudos
andersons
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I get that information. I have no idea what the name is.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

It can be anything you want really. It could be esxi.ramalamadingdong.com for that matter...

If you are doing this in an office, you will have to setup a DNS entry pointing at your ESXi's IP address.

If you are doing this at home, you probably won't have a DNS name for it. It really doesn't matter, and you can do everything you want/need to with it, by simply using the IP address.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

it's the name that you want to assign to the box.

what do you want to call it? esx1? virtual? mybox?

then add to that whatever domain you use on your local network. perhaps that might be andersons.com, or andersons.local, or somethingelse.com

you just need to assign a name to your box that preferably (but not essentially) will also resolve in a name server somewhere.

if this is just a local install on a home network, just give it a name like "esx1.home".

0 Kudos
YLui-at-Resolve
Contributor
Contributor

just an FYI

as long as you install NIC cards that are listed in the PDF file for 3.5 version of ESX 3i, then you wont have any problem running the ESXi server.

i had the same issue, until i swapped in a listed as supported nic, and it worked right away.

3.5 ESX 3i is quite picky with the hardware it supports.

0 Kudos
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

i only use intel nic's and they work across the board :smileycool:

0 Kudos
singh_padam123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using esxi vai pen drive and not able to change the default ip address 0.0.0.0 (STATIC).

I have onboard nic RTL8168/8111. any idea how to fix this....

?:|

0 Kudos
tru
Contributor
Contributor

the RTL8168/8111 is not supported, buy an intel card!

0 Kudos
RickStanford
Contributor
Contributor

Make or add these changes to the .vmx file. The last one ..."e1000", may have to changed a second time after the initial installation. These changes worked for me.

The SMBIOS.reflecthost="TRUE" was used when I tested the ESX3i install as a VM in Workstation 6.0.5.

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"

monitor_control.vt32 = "TRUE"

SMBIOS.reflectHost = "TRUE"

ethernet0.VirtualDev = "e1000"

0 Kudos
nbhara
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have Realtek 8168/811D NIC and a brand new PC with Vista. It has ICH10 SATA controller. I managed to get the ESXi server update 4 eval version installed but cannot connect to the network and have the same problem of lvm drivers not loaded and get the same error message as others "Download tools to manage this host from: http://0.0.0.0/" F2 Customize system F12 Shutdown/Restart

Now I tried ALT F1 to do the following:

From the main screen, press ALT+F1 Type "unsupported" (no quotes) Enter the root password Type "lspci" and it will show you the devices it sees.

(as in one of your responses before)

but when I get to the console I cannot type anything since it hangs

The last few lines in the console are

Starting openwsmand

Starting sfcbd

No OEM Policy file exists

CIM OEM Providers are disabled

running /etc/rc.local.d/notifyvc

I do not know how to proceed? Can I use the Realtek NIC above and if so do I have to change the OEM.tgz?

Any help appreciated since I am stuck.

nbhara

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. I haven't seen anyone come up with an 8111d driver so your best bet might be to add an Intel NIC. I'd suggest a Pro/1000 GT.

0 Kudos
nbhara
Contributor
Contributor

Ok Thanks but do I have to install again using the CD and how?

Also in my previous message I had mentioned about the console errors i.e oem file missing. Do I have to include a custom oem file in the hypervisor, if so how and where do I get it from?

Thanks very much in anticipation

nbhara

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Don't worry about the No OEM Policy error. You can just add the NIC and reboot and then try to set the management IP in the DCUI.

0 Kudos
chkdsk0
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar situation. I am getting the message "lvm driver not loaded with" and I am unable to configure any network settings. I have tried every NIC under the sun including Intel pro 1000 GT server adapter, desktop adapter, Pro 100 + management adapter, and Pro 1000 MT Adapter. They all work in another ESXi box but not this particular box. the "lspci" command displays all two on-board Broadcom NICs and the Intel NIC. Yet I can't make any network changes. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
cyklop
Contributor
Contributor

I think it's time to add a Realtek network adapters support in ESX

and ESXi. Intel is not a monopolist in this area.

0 Kudos
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. Did you ever get this resolved?

0 Kudos
5lbBass
Contributor
Contributor

My problem ended up being my NICs. I couldn't get them to work so I had to find another machine. The other machine, an HP DL360 installed correctly in minutes. . .

0 Kudos