VMware Cloud Community
MikeCampabello
Contributor
Contributor

Four core but only one showing inside the VM (2003 server)

I have a 2003 server that has 4 cores assigned to it but only one core is showing up. I have three other machines that are setup the same way and they are all fine. Anyone know a reason only one is showing up on this machine?? Or how to correct. This is a production DC so I don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would have a look through the forums about having more than 1 CPU. In most cases you should assign 1 vCPU to a machine unless during testing it is determined that more than 1 is needed. You risk having poorer performance rather than better.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
MikeCampabello
Contributor
Contributor

That's great info but still doesn't resolve anything.

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When the VM was assigned 4 vCPUs, did it get rebooted?

Im thinking that it might started out as a single vCPU VM and vCPUs was assigned to it later..

After startup 2003 was never rebooted when required. In this case it would only show 1 vCPU...

Don't know... Just thoughts...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Post some more information. HOST machine etc. Configuration

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Was it installed with 4 cores assigned or 1 and changed after install. Converted or installed fresh?????

0 Kudos
MikeCampabello
Contributor
Contributor

The ESX host is a PowerEdge 2950 with dual quad core Xeons(E5450 3GHz).

The VM was created by a P2V and the physical box was a quad core. This was all done about a year ago as well as the other three machines (2 terminal servers and a remote DC).

On this machine I have checked in device manager and ACPI Multiprocessor PC is there.

I started poking around checking stuff out and I noticed a constant CPU utilization of 20 to 35%. The process "system" is running at 10-15% and using process explorer I noticed about 13% CPU being used up by Hardware Inturupts.... which is what I am thinking is being caused by only one proc showing up... ???

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Old hardware and drivers removed after P2V? How many VM's on the host? What services does the DC provide?

0 Kudos