VMware Cloud Community
chrislynch8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First time VMware user - maybe a silly question re: Server Hardware

So,

I started using VMware a couple of days ago for testing. I have a client that has VMware ESX Server 3i installed they have a HP server and I have a Dell server which I installed the same VMware ESXi version.

If I download their images will it run on the Dell Server? OR will this is an issue?

Rgds

Chris

PS - Sorry if this is a silly question

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Chris,

This is what VMware refer to as Hardware Independence. http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/virtual-machine.html#c25953

Basically your VM has no knowledge of what hardware it is running on - so feel free to move it from Dell to HP hardware and back.

However - vMotion, the moving of a powered on VM from one server to another server does require similar CPUs on both hosts.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It depends, there's a VMware "native" edition and a special "HP" edition.

I'm not sure whether or not the HP edition will run on DELL systems.

Do you have the name and size of the ISO.

André

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should download the Dell specific version. There are components that are only relevant for the server model. Make sure your Dell server is on the Hardware Compatibility list. If it is not then use the generic version. http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
chrislynch8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to find out if the version they have is the "native" HP one?

0 Kudos
chrislynch8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've installed the standard ESXi I downloaded from VMware and have it installed and I've already installed a guest OS. So its just will a Guest OS image from a HP server running VMware ESXi run on a Dell Server running ESXi?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

So its just will a Guest OS image from a HP server running VMware ESXi run on a Dell Server running ESXi?

Simple answer: Yes.

André

EDIT: unless you run different versions of ESXi and use different virtual hardware versions!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If this is a copy of the Virtual Machine files from an HP ESXi installation then yes it will run. If this is an HP OEM OS install CD from HP then it may be an issue. HP OEM Windows CD don't usually work on another manufacturers hardware. Don't usually work in a virtual environment either.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Chris,

This is what VMware refer to as Hardware Independence. http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/virtual-machine.html#c25953

Basically your VM has no knowledge of what hardware it is running on - so feel free to move it from Dell to HP hardware and back.

However - vMotion, the moving of a powered on VM from one server to another server does require similar CPUs on both hosts.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
chrislynch8
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much - this is what I was looking for.

Rgds

Chris

0 Kudos