VMware Cloud Community
PaddleNorth
Contributor
Contributor

First server install

I have an ESXi 3.5 install. Attempting to create the first 2003 standard vm. Have tried to get it to boot from CD and attempted to copy the iso file to the datastore. Neither way will boot. I have gone it and changed the boot sequence to boot from CD. It looks at the CD then attempts a network boot. When I change it to datastore, select connect and connect at power on, it does the same thing. I must be missing something easy, but don't know what.

Anybody have any tips to try?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Welcome to the VMware community forums!

You probably just need to change the boot order in the virtual BIOS of the Virtual Machine.

After doing that make sure to also have the ISO/CD connected at boot in the configuration options of your VM.

--

Wil

Visit the VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Anybody have any tips to try?

CD/DVD drive added to VM? CD/DVD drive enabled AND set to boot at power on? That may seem simple, but there are a few posts on here where people didn't do it, so I am not overlooking the obvious.

0 Kudos
PaddleNorth
Contributor
Contributor

I have to change to emulate mode to get the VM see the CD/DVD drive. It flashes the drive once then goes to network boot. I connect the CDRom to my local E drive (which has the 2003 boot CD. I see ATI CDRom Virtual Drive when booting, before attempting load. So it appears it sees the drive. The datastore ISO goes to the network boot right away.

When I go to the bios setup it shows the only device as VM Virtual ID. IF I manually add CDROM in as secondary master, it changes back to none after reboot.

I'm perplexed....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you have confirmed this is bootable media? Also, there is a check mark next to "connect at power on"/"connected"?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

When I go to the bios setup it shows the only device as VM Virtual ID.

Yes that's what happens with emulation you end up with weird configuration, so the first problem is why your VM can't see an IDE device. Is the CD showing in the BIOS of the VM as enabled?

0 Kudos
PaddleNorth
Contributor
Contributor

Well it appears to be something strange with the 2003 disk and ISO image. I can use it fine to build a server with a test PC, but it won't work here. Tried a different VM with Windows 7 and it worked first time.

Thanks for everyone's input and help

0 Kudos