VMware Cloud Community
surf66
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to install the VirtualCenter Agent Service

Hi, I am hoping someone can help out. We have been working on this issue for the past two days with no luck at any resolution. We have been trying to add a host to VC, but receive the error message "Failed to Install the VirtualCenter Agent Service". If you go to the services part of the host through Virtual Infrastructure and try to start the service manually, it gives the error message "Error During the configuration of the host". We have also tried restarting management agents from the console of the host with no success. I've found a few things to try on the internet- have tried going into unsupported mode from the console, tried to delete the vmware-root folder, recreate and then restart services. Still no luck getting the service to start. Also tried to re-build the USB key twice. Still no luck!! The only other solution I could find was that it could be because of an upgrade to VC. All of our other hosts have been added to VC with no problem. Thinking it might be a corrupted key. Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Take a look at this thread.

Failed to install VirtualCenter Agent - http://communities.vmware.com/message/1087446#1087446

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

First login to the host directly. Delete the vimuser and vpxuser.

Then go to /etc/vmware/ssl. remove ALL those files (there should be only 2 certificates).

Then do a service mgmt-vmware restart

watch the esxtop and wait for the console process to die down to 0

Then try to connect again.

0 Kudos
surf66
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. I followed the blog- created the folder and copied the service into it, but still could not get the service to restart.

0 Kudos
surf66
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your help. I could not get the service to start with this fix either. When restarting the service, do I watch the process in the unsupported console mode? I could not figure out where to watch the process.. I'm wondering if we just have a corrupted key? Any thoughts?

0 Kudos