VMware Cloud Community
hubertus
Contributor
Contributor

Exporting a VM to test on VMware Player

Is it possible to export / copy a VM that was created on the free ESXi 4 version so that I can demo an application on a laptop using the player. I have the system running successfully on the ESXi as a VM, and use the VSphere client to manage it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can use the free VMWare Converter Standalone (available here: ). Use your ESX as the target and convert the VM to a VMWare Workstation. I never tried it to Player but have seen posts that it has been successful with 3.5 and should work with 4.0

mouradb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes VM Converter standalone version is a great tool to sort you out but this could be much better use if it is an option on your VCenter server,

see link posted before

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

MB

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can copy the three VM files to your laptop using the datastore browser (take a snap-shot if you want to do so live) and then start the VM using vmware player directly.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My understanding is that you are using the FREE ESXi in a stand alone configuration without vCenter server.

If a vCenter Server was in the environment then you can install the VMware Converter Enterprise pluggin version rather than Converter Standalone. Then the 'Export' option appears enabled on the right-click menu of shutdown VMs in vSphere Client's with the Converter pluggin installed to use the VMware Converter fuctionality to export to Player or other formats.

0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You could export the machine as a OVF and then use it with VMware Player.

David Strebel

www.holy-vm.com

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
0 Kudos