VMware Cloud Community
dacrusher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Export VM from ESXi to 'non-connected' ESXi Server Using Converter

Hi All,

Sorry for the newbie question - I have seen a lot of posts regarding exporting a VM to workstation or player, etc but I couldn't find one for my purpose.

We need to export a VM that was created on an ESXi server to an ESXi server in another location that has no network connectivity between them using the Standalone Converter v 4.01 (?). The idea is as follows: export image, copy file(s) to USB stick, send to remote site, they will import image on their ESXi server (same version).

What is the best way for me to do this using the converter?  I thought I could just select the VMWare Infrastructure server as a destination but that seems like an option only if you have the remote one connected on the network.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the export type that may possibly be more consistent than others? ie; export as "vmware workstation or other vmware virtual machine" say vs 'virtual appliance'?  Are all just as reliable from an export and then import perspective?

Thanks in advance!!!!

D

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If both ESXi are the same version, what you can do is go to Datastore Browser and download all the VMs into the USB drive, and then go to Site 2, and upload is via the datastore browser. Browser to the .vmx and register the VM.

If you still prefer to use vmware converter it has to be converter to workstation format so that the destination can be selected as USB drive, thereafter a workstation to vmware infrastructure in Site 2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If both ESXi are the same version, what you can do is go to Datastore Browser and download all the VMs into the USB drive, and then go to Site 2, and upload is via the datastore browser. Browser to the .vmx and register the VM.

If you still prefer to use vmware converter it has to be converter to workstation format so that the destination can be selected as USB drive, thereafter a workstation to vmware infrastructure in Site 2.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi cannot mount a USB disk.

If you have  a remote PC to run the converter or SCP from there, then no problem.

Otherwise consider to use a different way.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You could use something like WinSCP, FastSCP, SCP to simply browse to the datastore and copy the vmdk files etc straight to you own machine (or a USB key attached to it)

then move the USB key to a host that has access ot the second host and useWinSCP / FastSCP etc to cop it back up.

all you have to do at the end of this is use the datastore browser on the destination host, brose to the .vmx file, right click and say 'import' - then follow the wizard.

http://geekseat.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/essential-tools-fastscp/

FastScp is definitely an essential tool in my toolbox . .

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
Ham21
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you have the plate spin tool with you

Plate Spin tool has the capability to have Destination(i.e. Target) as image (similar to P2V, V2V you ca also do V2Image (in your case) using this tool ).

Once you do Virtual to Image (V2Image). then you can use either one of the tool (WinSCP, FastSCP, SCP) to move this image from one site to another site.

From the remote site, use this image to build the VM in the respective ESXi host.

If anyone found the above information to be incorrect please correct it.

Thanks

0 Kudos