VMware Cloud Community
FranckVEDEL
Contributor
Contributor

Error: "A file was not found" at creation of a VM

Hello.

ESXi with 2 datastores.

When I create a new VM on datastore2, no problem....

The same thing on datastore1: error: "A file was not found". In events: "Faile to create virtual disk /vmfs/volumes/4947...........b7ad39e/Serveur_FTP/Serveur_FTP.vmdk

The 2 datastores are correct, and datastore1 with 280G free.

What is the problem ? How can I repair this situation and install new VM on datastore1 ?

Thanks for help.

Franck

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

A couple of things - first, can you check the Events section of the ESXi host and make sure there isn't any more detail in the logs there about what file it thinks is missing? Second, is there anything else on datastore1? Any chance you could remove that datastore and re-add it?

0 Kudos
FranckVEDEL
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing else in events. Juste "Creating VM" and after "Failed to create virtual disk........;"

I remove and readd the datastore. Same thing.

When i convert a VM in ovf format, and try to import a virtual appliance in this datastore, same error. When I import the same appliance in datastore2, no problem.

I open datastore1, and try to import files from my PC. It work. When I try to creta a VM, I've the error we talk about, and I can't remove the folder cretaed. I'va a another error: "General Fault caused by file."

I dont' undestand. I have ESXi3.5 , but I never try my 2 raid1 datastores with old ESXi version.

0 Kudos
FranckVEDEL
Contributor
Contributor

I think I've problem with the 2 disks in RAID1 to constitue datastore1.

I've messages error on the console, in system logs, Messages. Messages error with grub, the size of the disks, and gparted..... aie aie aie....

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos