VMware Cloud Community
aregnier42
Contributor
Contributor

Error during update 2 installation: PatchManager not found

I've used Vmware Infrastructure Update to update an esx3i installation to update 2...

Everything worked fine for the first 2 updates, but I keep getting the following error when installing the third update:(tools)

Failed to install tools update for U2 release.: PatchManager not found

It goes to 60% then stop with this error... Any idea what is going on or how to fix it?

(note that I get a similar "PatchManager not found" after reaching progress: 60 when using remoteInstall.exe for the same package.

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ginther
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem during update 3 installation.

With all update methods (VMware Infrastructure Update, remoteInstall.exe and vihostupdate) the installation of the tools-update fails.

VMware Infrastructure Update Logfile:

'App' 1184 error PatchManager not found. User may not have proper permissions

'App' 1184 error Installation error: PatchManager not found

Any solution?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
colin71511
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. I put the server into maintence mode then restarted it. After the restart the update process worked for me.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
jmatheso
Contributor
Contributor

Just a quick bump. Did this solve folks' problem with the"patch manager not found" issue? I am having the exact same problem but putting the VM Server into maintenance mode and rebooting does not clear it up for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
brianez21
Contributor
Contributor

Same exact problem here. I put my server into maintenance mode, same issue. Then rebooted it and put it into maintenance mode again, and same issue. Even without being in maintenance mode I get this. It seems there is no way to install updates since it thinks PatchManager is "not found". What a shame...

Please advise.

0 Kudos
aregnier42
Contributor
Contributor

I eventually found out that the problem I was having were related to network speed and bandwidth...

I was trying to do the update remotely over a DSL connection.

When I tested from a machine with a high speed connection to the ESX server, everything worked fine.

(for example using remote desktop or vnc remotely from home over the DSL connection to a server or VM that would have a faster connection to the target server to update - for example because it is in the same datacenter -)

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
GreenSolutions
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I am using a 4MB DSL but get the same error, how can we get this sorted?

0 Kudos