VMware Cloud Community
badcrc_32
Contributor
Contributor

Energy Efficent Processors - ESX depoloyment Questions

I recommended going with the X5550 processor for a virtualization project, however employer wants to use the L5530 to state energy efficent...

I see lots of draw backs here for instance max memory bandwith is cut by a 1/5th, ram speed is only 1066 compared to 1333....

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=40201,41755,37106

Just curious if anyone else would want to use Enegy Efficent Processors....Checking with Employeer to see if power management in automated mode on the cluster would could towards there green initiative.

I just think its a bad idea in virtualization to go with these energy efficent processors. When your getting 20 vms per server as is your being green.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It would totally depend on the workload. If you expect to have multiple VMs that will be processor intensive then you may be right. You can look at other energy saving measures like power control that might give you both highest performance where needed but the ability to throttle back power consumption when idle. Capabilities like DRS could migrate VMs during off times and shut down some hosts to save power.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with David - I would not scrimp on processing power but use DPM to power down hosts when not needed -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
badcrc_32
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with all of you however sometimes in dealing with management they don't really understand technology.....

0 Kudos