VMware Cloud Community
LSebastian
Contributor
Contributor

Encounter a error "STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error" when installing window server 2003

Hi everyone,

Before i want to explain my problem, i want sorry to you all because i not so familiar about using VMWare, so maybe the question i ask is a very simple question, but this problem really hang me up a whole day... And sorry about my poorly english too..

I am using ESXi 3.5. My server is Dell PowerEdge 860, and the harddisk is model is LSI1068 that shown in attachment (1.jpg). i had connected floppy and install the SCSI driver that download from here (vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp) when i started to install window server 2003. After the server loading every driver from CD, the screen will hang at "setup is starting Windows" that shown in attachment (2.jpg). The error message will come out around 2-3 minutes, the screen capture is shown in attachment (3.jpg).

The error is "STOP: c000021 Unknown Hard Error"

i had tried many drivers of LSI1068, but it still fail to install and the error still is the same. One more thing i want to remind is the Window Server 2003 installation CD doesn't has any scracthed or damaged, and i had tested the CD to install other server and the installation is work.

I really want to solve this problem, thanks a lot if someone can help me to solve this problem..

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Have you tried to install the VM without using the vmscsi- .flp? You should not need it for a Server 2003 install I have only needed it for XP. You should be able to intall Server 2003 without having to add any SCSI drivers.

0 Kudos
LSebastian
Contributor
Contributor

ya, i had tried to install windows without SCSI driver before, but it still has a same error.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Why are you using physical driver if you are installing the Windows in a VM?

Windows 2003 do not need extra driver (just build the VM with the wizard and add the CD).

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos