VMware Cloud Community
dpaille
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling SCP or FTP to upload files to iSCSI LUN.

I have installed a W2K8 VM on ESXi and then I downloaded a VMWare Appliance that I wanted to transfer to an iscsi LUN. I was hoping I could just ftp or scp the files to the VMFS volume, but I can't figure out how to do it? Any VM Guru's out there that could shed some light on this matter?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. The supported methods for this would be

1) Right click on the datastore, select Browse and then copy the files with the upload / download icons.

2) Use vifs.pl from the RCLI

If this is a test / learning system, then it is possible to enable SSH. See the link on www.vm-help.com. There's also a page on uploading the RCLI appliance which contains the vifs.pl command. The RCLI is also available in a Linux/ Windows install package.

0 Kudos
dpaille
Contributor
Contributor

Update. I figured out how to upload the files without ftp or scp (apparently they are not supported on ESXi at this time). When in the VI Client, right click on the datastore and there is an icon at the top that you can click that allows you to upload from your local workstation. Voila. Hope this sheds some light on the problem that I had.

0 Kudos
dpaille
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave,

I was not aware of the second option. There seems to be some suggestions that the toolkit should be able to do this as well, but I could not find the command to do it.

D

0 Kudos