syneticon-dj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi with more than one iSCSI host

Hello all,

I am playing around with iSCSI support for ESXi. When specifying more than one target host for "sendtargets" dynamic discovery with the software iSCSI initiator, two targets from the different hosts are unified into a single "canonical" paths with two alternate physical paths. As the disks hosted on the two iSCSI target appliances are not in some kind of replication configuration and even have different disk sizes, this feature is clearly undesirable. However, I appear neither to be able to find a way to alter this discovery behavior nor to delete the targets once they've been discovered - even after deleting the host from the "iSCSI server" list in the iSCSI initiator properties the discovered targets do not disappear. Any idea or documentation pointer for the iSCSI feature set is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the "iSCSI SAN Configuration Guide" is not at all any use for most of the topics beyond point&click wizard dialog screenshots.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well something between the 2 iSCSI hosts must be the same. Name perhaps, or same disk size, there must be a similarity... That's why it 'merges' the two. I know there are others on here that have more than 1 iSCSI target, and this wasn't an issue, so to eliminate the obvious have you tried making sure both targets are truly unique?

0 Kudos
syneticon-dj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I cannot see a similarity, that's why I am asking for a proper documentation. For instance, I have a "canonical" path vmhba35:4:1 resolving to two physical paths vmhba35:4:1 and vmhba35:10:1 with surely different IQNs and different sizes (2 GB and 12 GB). The IQNs are iqn.2009-03.net.syneticon.san3.test and iqn.2009-03.net.syneticon:san2.examp-EDU-APPSRV as displayed in the storage adapters list. The only thing that possibly could be seen as similar is that the physical vmhba35:4:1is enumerated as the 5th target on san3 and the physical vmhba35:10:1 is enumerated as the 5th target on san2. However, I fail to see how that might lead ESXi to believe they were the same target with different physical paths.

BTW: has anybody come up with a method how to forcefully remove targets from the list?

Sidenote: the iSCSI target software used is stgt (http://stgt.berlios.de/) which we found to work fairly well with openiscsi and windows iSCSI initiators.

0 Kudos