VMware Cloud Community
IT_Help
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi upgrade from VMWare Server 1.0.7 with large iSCSI Storage Array

I have a server, currently running Windows 2k3 R2 Enterprise and VMWare Server 1.0.7. It has an iSCSI Storage array with about 6 TB space and we want to upgrade it to ESXi.

What are the partition size limitations under ESXi? Do we need to break this up into segments?

I assume we'd have to follow the following procedure to perform this upgrade:

1) Back up all VM's to seperate storage

2) Install ESXi

3) Use VMConverter to import the VMWare Server VM's into ESXi

Please let me know if I'm missing any special steps and what my options are on the 6 TB Storage array. I should note that it already has approximately 4 TB of VM's...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. ESXi has a 2 TB LUN limit (although you can join up to 32 LUNs together using extents). Thus you would need to follow the procedure you have below in which you move the files to another storage LUN, and then import them back after ESXi is installed. VMware Converter is a good tool to do this. What sort of VMs do you have (Linux/ Windows?) and are they set to use an IDE or SCSI virtual disk controller?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The maximum LUN size ESXi will recognize is 2 TB so yes y0ou will have to carve up your storage - the steps you outlined are pretty much it -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos