VMware Cloud Community
kristiaan_d
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi update help required - patches not fixing reboot bug!

hi i downloaded and installed the ESXi express update ESXe350-200807812-O-BG.zip when i say i installed it please assume nothing i have NO clues about this system. i unzipped the folder and there was 3 zips inside it, i extracted each of these and through the windows command line used remoteinstall.exe to install them.

all three updates reported 100% and installed successfully. but i STILL cannot get my VM to boot up... how do i fix this, do i need to reboot the ESXi server to finish this update? is so a message stating that would have been nice!

honestly i have no experiance with this system except the usual create and run VM's dont want anything special from it just to host some reguarly used PC's so it saves on space around my office, but at the moment no one can use them as they will not power ON!!.

once these things are running im going back to physical systems stuff the enviroment and electricity costs at least when i push a power button they worked.......

0 Kudos
6 Replies
leofonic
Contributor
Contributor

do i need to reboot the ESXi server to finish this update? is so a message stating that would have been nice!

Yes, reboot is required. If you look at the host in VI-Client there should be a little icon "Reboot required".

0 Kudos
kristiaan_d
Contributor
Contributor

hi thanks for the info,i did have a look through the VIClient and there was nothing in there except the logs showing i had installed the updates correctly. which is why i wondered why there was no indication to reboot the server.

so far from what i have desicribed have i installed the updates correctly? as i am seriously worried that if i reboot the host the only one working VM i have left is going to no longer load up. is it honestly this difficult to update ? the VIClient offered me 2 updates which i installed, once i installed the express patch, the VIC updater is now asking me to install these updates again is this right?

attached is a screenshot showing the updates the VIC updater is asking to install, and the firefox download window showing the patch i have downloaded. is this all correct?

0 Kudos
leofonic
Contributor
Contributor

I have no experience with this patch, i didn't use it myself, but a host reboot is definitely required:

It also says Power Off of the VMs is required.

I would first reboot the system to complete the installation before applying more patches. You can then try again with VIC Updater.

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

Kristiaan -

If the patches do not work for you, you may want to just download the newer version of ESXi and perform and upgrade. If the VMs are on local disk, make sure you back them up or disconnect the drives if you can.

Dave

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
kristiaan_d
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, thanks for the replys on this, for some reason when i visit these url's (http://kb2.vmware.com/kb/1006670.html) i get a page not found, this was partly the reason i did not reboot the server after the update was done. once i figured out how to get to the KB and read the articles, applying the patch made a lot more sense.

i extracted the initial zip file that i got from VMwares website, and that left me with some misc files and 3 further zip files. extracting each of these revealed an exe called remote install. running this through the windows command line and providing the host, username and password successfully applied the patches.

once this was done i made my scarifice to the VMWare god and rebooted my ESXi Host. low and behold everything is fine again.

so again thank you all for your answers regarding this and i do appologize if my questions have been vague and very simple, hope to have some more complicated and clearer questions for you in future.

0 Kudos
leofonic
Contributor
Contributor

Good to hear everything is working again. I corrected the URL anyway.

0 Kudos