VMware Cloud Community
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi run in a pc?

Hi, I have a simple question.. It's possibile to install vmware Esxi in a pc with a recent hardware like this..(Processor intel quadcore, hard disk sata...)

Or... there is a pc in which I can install esxi?

It would be a great things but I don't know if it is possibile...

Best regards

0 Kudos
14 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

That is not an easily answered question. The true answer is maybe yes, but likely no. If you search for whitebox on the forums, you will see results as to pc hardware that people have had some success with the install. So, it is possible, but not always likely to get a fully functional server with the components in a common pc.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
mmurrin
Contributor
Contributor

Take a look at this whitebox. I am going to build one of these once I get a little extra money:

Other than that I was able to bring up ESXi on an dell optiplex 755. The internal nic did not work. But I installed an Intel pro1000 card and I was good to go. I booted ESXi off a jump drive.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Simo:

Read this document pp. 20-23

Then look at this.

Compare to the computer you have.

/mark

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

I have also a optiplex 755, but when I run the esx1 I received this error: Unalbe ti find a supported device to write the esx 3i...

So the system doesn't know the harddisk... i have serial ata drive.

What have you done to risolve the problem?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post what model of SATA controller you're using and the PCI id for it (http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/find_PCI_ID.php)?

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

The model of SATA controller is "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller"

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What PCI id does the controller have?

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi (at least update 2) won't recognize that PCI id - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php#Intel. You could modify simple.map / pci.ids and add those to oem.tgz to see if that'll be sufficient, but you might also need to modify the driver as well.

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

Thank for the link...

Someone know or use a motherboard that certainly work with esxi?

Perhaps Asus....because I have to buy a new pc and I want to use vmware technology...

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

For example, where can I understand If this motherboard support ESXI ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link...

I think that i will buy this MB: ASUS P5Q Pro, so the sata disk will be recognized by the Esx (3.5 and Esxi).. Correct?

Another question about the Nic. Work or not work in this MB? or I have to install another nic compatible with esx?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to send a PM to the people who tested it to see if they got the NIC to work. For ESX, the person that tested it added a SCSI adapter, but for ESXi they were able to get it working with a modified oem.tgz file.

0 Kudos