VMware Cloud Community
samuk912
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi platform

outside of my work i am part of a vetren assocation and they have asked me to set up some servers for them i want to deploy ESXi to cut the costs down but ive ben looking at the HCL and looking round at the server platforms but i cant seem to find anything can some one help me with this

there is not alot of money and it just needs to run websites and email

PLEASE can someone help me with this

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joviyach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am guessing that what you're getting at is that you cannot find anything on the HCL that fits into the budget. As with anything else, the HCL here is a list of components that are tested and known to work. You could find and/or throw something together within your budget that might work. You could break things down to the individual component level for example, and build or buy something that has a NIC that is definitely supported, but maybe some other component is not on the list. This might still work. Just my two cents...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

but ive ben looking at the HCL and looking round at the server platforms but i cant seem to find anything can some one help me with this

OK, I am confused. If you looked at the HCL, and it lists ALL the servers, where is the problem? Pick one that you like that's the cheapest on the HCL. You can't go wrong. Where do you need help?

Dell (only picking on Dell because it's what we use and I have the most experience) has servers for as little as $3000.00 (1950). Get it equipped with 4GB of RAM, and enough space for 2 or 3 VM's. Done. It's not any harder than that.

0 Kudos
joviyach
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am guessing that what you're getting at is that you cannot find anything on the HCL that fits into the budget. As with anything else, the HCL here is a list of components that are tested and known to work. You could find and/or throw something together within your budget that might work. You could break things down to the individual component level for example, and build or buy something that has a NIC that is definitely supported, but maybe some other component is not on the list. This might still work. Just my two cents...

0 Kudos