VMware Cloud Community
ASchinkel
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi performance impact

A quick question regarding performance impact on a workstation server.

The baseline for comparison is a core i7 950, 6gB ram, running Server 2008 r2.

I would like to virtualize the workstation and to add a few small VMs.

Running OpenBSD in one VM, a small 5mB linux distro in another, and Server 2008r2 as the third, will this significantly reduce the overall performance of the workstation between a physical & virtualized state?

I would like to keep ~90% of the CPU and ~75% of the RAM dedicated to the workstation if virtualized.

Any problems with this scenario?

Over / under allocating for the bsd/linux vms?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

That is a tough question to ask without knowing what you are comparing to, in terms of actual usage. I understand the resources you are listing, but how much of those resources are in use when the workload is performing tasks? Also, if this machine is in fact a workstation, then when you run ESXI on top of it, you can run a workstation image on it, but you won't be able to use that machine as a workstation any longer. You will need a 2nd machine to connect to the image running on the ESX host. As far as performance penalty, ESX is very close to physical. But, if you're not stressing your machine before virtualization, you should not really see an issue after virtualization either. If you are running at 100%, that is a different matter, and you will see some penalty.

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

vmwise.com / @vmwise

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
ASchinkel
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I will just have to build it, test it, and make my own judgement call.

I do intend to use design and modeling software, so significant stress is likely to occur. Using VMDirectPath to pass through a compatible graphics card for the workstation to perform properly-ish.

I know it is not the intent of esxi to be used as a workstation type supplement, but I find it an interesting scenario to guage efficiencies under a serious load.

If I could run VMware workstation with a totally isolated network configuration from the host that would likely be a better / ideal situation.

(In the case of openBSD as virtual machine for the firewall, I understand VMware workstation still passes through the Windows OS network stack, which is undesirable)

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What I meant by use as workstation, meaning that there is no direct console to a running vm from the screen you use to interact with ESXi. Hope that makes sense. Modeling software will definitely stress the CPU, and some will use as much power as you give them. 90% is not an unreasonable metric to expect. I would use the latest hypervisor, though, if possible. ESXi 3 and ESXi 4.1 are very different beats in terms of efficiencies in the hypervisor. Good luck.

vExpert

VMware Communities Moderator

vmwise.com / @vmwise

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
ASchinkel
Contributor
Contributor

As long as 10% of a i7 750 is sufficient to run a few firewall and NAS servers, that would be ideal (and based on your responce, I presume it is quite feasible to implement such restriction)

ESX4.1 would allow passthrough for a keyboard and mouse to compliment the VMDirectPath GPU card?

(I use a wireless 2.6ghz lenovo mouse & keyboard combo off a little Thumbnail sized usb adaptor)

0 Kudos