VMware Cloud Community
ruraldev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi on new server? - newbie question

I am planning to replace an old server with a new Dell 2950 and when I look at the virtualised version against the standard version there is a large price difference although ESXi is free, can anyone tell me if I should really buy a virtualisation ready server or just the standard one and install the ESXi myself?

I have used VMware in the past and fancy trying it on the new server, hopefully replacing 7 PC's with 1 high end virtualised server.

Hope someone can advise.

Thanks

Gordon

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Gordon,

Personally I would buy the server and install ESX (not ESXi) into it. That's just my typical configuration. The reason I currently prefer ESX over 'i' is that ESXi doesn't have a service console and some 3rd party applications won't work as they require a SC.

Although ESXi is 'free' as a standalone product you must still pay for a license one you put it into a virtual center cluster.

I prefer ESX standard just as I know 3rd party ESX apps will work.

Regards

Pete

-

If you found this helpful then please award points Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I guess that's really up to you. Myself, I would prefer to just get the hardware and install the products myself.

0 Kudos
ruraldev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But would there be any difference?

I thought there must be due to the price difference, is there anything specific which must be in the hardware for esxi to work?

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Gordon,

Personally I would buy the server and install ESX (not ESXi) into it. That's just my typical configuration. The reason I currently prefer ESX over 'i' is that ESXi doesn't have a service console and some 3rd party applications won't work as they require a SC.

Although ESXi is 'free' as a standalone product you must still pay for a license one you put it into a virtual center cluster.

I prefer ESX standard just as I know 3rd party ESX apps will work.

Regards

Pete

-

If you found this helpful then please award points Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Peter Grant CTO Xtravirt.com
0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Further to that. If you want to go to ESXi, and if I understand you you're saying the installed version is more expensive then maybe that's just because it's onboard on the ROM therefore you don't need to spend money on local disks.

If you consider this is might be cheaper overall to use the embedded version.

Regards

Pete

ruraldev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Pete

I wouldn't need a licence if it is only running in my office with no other servers, would I?

Plan is to run about 4 windows desktop OS + 1 Windows Server OS + 2 linux OS.

Regards

Gordon

0 Kudos
ruraldev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That may well be it, time to get the calculator out!

Thanks

Gordon

0 Kudos
Peter_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No if it's just standalone then it is free. Based on what you've said running it on an embedded version may be better. That way you don't have to worry about your disks going down and losing your hosts. Bearing in mind you would need 2 x disks in a mirror set (unless you like to live on the edge!)

Regards

Pete

-

If you found this helpful then please award points

ruraldev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Pete

That makes good sense, embeded it is!

Thanks

Gordon

0 Kudos