VMware Cloud Community
ElectroMN
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi on a Dell PowerEdge SC1420

I am having issues installing ESXi 3.5 on a Dell PowerEdge SC1420. The RAID controller is a PERC 320/DC and the chipset is VM supported Intel (according to the VM CPU utility checker downloaded off the website.) When I boot the system, I receive the message "initialization of VMKernel failed 0xbad001e". I read in other posts to edit the /etc/vmware/esx.conf file and add the /vmkernel/checkCPUIDLimit = "FALSE", which I did. Upon reboot, I now get to a message that states "Loading VMKernel aacraid_esx30.o..." and it hangs. Eventually it unhangs and returns to the shell prompt, unable to load. Even though this is officially "unsupported hardware", I have read that others have got this system to run 3.5. The mobo chipset, RAID controller and NICS are all supported hardware so I am not quite sure what part is unsupported. If anyone has experience to share on getting SC1420's to run, please share.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Do you have the most recent BIOS / firmwares installed?

0 Kudos
ElectroMN
Contributor
Contributor

I am running the most current version of the BIOS (A4) and we also updated the firmware on the PERC 320.

0 Kudos
Shineray
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

if ESXi boots hit "CTRL + Shift + O"

Now you are able to insert this ->"nocheckCPUIDLimit"

now ESXi boots without failure.

Boot from CD. Hit Space and enter it behind the kernel.

Greentings

0 Kudos