VMware Cloud Community
mplubratt
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi not running 64-bit guests

Hello!

I'm running ESXi 3.5u3 on a new Dell PowerEdge 1950 III. It has dual quad-core Xeon 5405 processors on it. I've been trying to load the 64-bit version of OpenSolaris; but, I only seem to be able to get the 32-bit version. I've also tried loading the 64-bit versions of FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I get lockups when that is attempted. It seems that I can only load 32-bit operating systems even though I thought ESXi supported 64-bit guests. I've checked the server BIOS and 64-bit support is enabled for the CPUs.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a solution?

Thanks!

Mark

OK. I looked again at the BIOS and not only did I have to enable the 64-bit support; but, I had to turn "Virtualization Technology" on.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If you enable virtualisation in the BIOS (vanderpool / VT / whatever it is called on your BIOS) then you must cold boot your host. The best way to do this is to simply pull the plug for a little.. without powering down completely the change will not be registered.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mplubratt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Wil. I guess I just wasn't looking far enough into the BIOS settings...

0 Kudos
12szapiel12
Contributor
Contributor

So? Is it working after changes in BIOS?If yes what kind of OS you running on the host.

0 Kudos