VMware Cloud Community
gm85
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi not detecting Intel RAID5 Array (but individual drives visible)

Hi Everyone

I decided to take a look at ESXi to replace our Windows 2003 + Vmware Server setup. Our server is a Supermicro PDSMI+ and has a built-in Intel ICH7R SATA RAID controller.

With Windows, we had a Hardware RAID5 setup (with 3 750GB Hard Drives), with the Array appearing as a single 1.5TB drive to Windows.

While installing ESXi, I was surprised to see the individual hard drives were visible, rather than the RAID array the hard drives are a part of. I tried installing ESXi to the first hard drive listed, but it failed. (Lists Operating System not found).

My only luck was to Remove the RAID5 array and have a single drive in the system. After doing that, I was able to boot ESXi (but of course this means that there is no redundancy and we only have 50% of the capacity that we did before).

As anyone else experienced a situation like this? I've tried it with the onboard Intel and Adaptec controllers, and the same issue occurs with the individual drives appearing, rather than the Array.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jasonlitka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's a 'fakeraid' controller, not a hardware controller. You cannot use the raid functionality because it relies on the OS for support.

Jason Litka

Jason Litka http://www.jasonlitka.com
gm85
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks litkaj,

I didn't realize these onboard RAID controllers didn't provide full RAID compatability (I guess you learn something every day). As it seems that ESX doesn't support this type of RAID controller, that means my only option is to upgrade to a dedicated hardware RAID controller?

0 Kudos
jasonlitka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dell PERC 5/i cards are pretty popular and you can find them dirt-cheap (comparatively-speaking) on eBay.

Jason Litka

Jason Litka http://www.jasonlitka.com
0 Kudos
gm85
Contributor
Contributor

I took a look and found an Adaptec SATA RAID card on ebay that was listed on ESX's hardware compatability list, so I'm going to try that out. Thanks

0 Kudos
superstu
Contributor
Contributor

how did that raid controller work out did it fix the problem?

i'm having hte same problem with a supermicro board and three hard drives in a raid 5 array, it just won't recognize.

0 Kudos