VMware Cloud Community
NomaanSikandar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi installer not seeing my raid.

I have setup a raid 5 (3*500GB SATA drives) but when I run the ESXi installer, it shows me the individual drives (its a raid, I should only see one). Once I let it install on one of those drives, I can't boot into it since my mobo sees the raid and tries to boot it.

So I end up with a boot error.

My mobo is SuperMicro X8DTU, ICH10R SATA.

I have an option of usign Adaptec and Intel raid bios, I can only get Raid 5 with Intel, so I've been usign that.

What are my options here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

You are running into the fakeraid issue. That is hardware raid until the OS starts, at which point it is handed to the OS for software raid. Think of it more as hardware assisted software raid. ESX would need to have drivers installed to use it correctly. This is why the ESX installer see multiple disks.

Your only solutions are to not use RAID or buy a true hardware RAID card.

A possible third option would be to find a raid card that makes drivers for ESX. ESX 4 allows drivers to be installed to accomodate this. I do not know of any off hand though.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums!

You are running into the fakeraid issue. That is hardware raid until the OS starts, at which point it is handed to the OS for software raid. Think of it more as hardware assisted software raid. ESX would need to have drivers installed to use it correctly. This is why the ESX installer see multiple disks.

Your only solutions are to not use RAID or buy a true hardware RAID card.

A possible third option would be to find a raid card that makes drivers for ESX. ESX 4 allows drivers to be installed to accomodate this. I do not know of any off hand though.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
NomaanSikandar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that helpful info.

Can you buy hardware raid cards for a 1U rackmount server?

Nomaan

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What kind of expansion slots are available in your server?

You should be able to find a hardware raid card that slots in well. I can help find one if you let me know what ports are available.

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos
NomaanSikandar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The more powerful server got assigned to another project ( the one with the raid).

I have this now. No raid so no more problem.

http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i15322/xeon-3000-1U.php

I installed ESXi on it and it is working pretty decently.

I think I will have 2-3 VMs on it, running IIS/MSSQL or MSSQL express (not sure what OS though).

No way of predicting the loads that will be put on this. I will know in a few days once I setup a test config.

Is there a free resource for learning about ESXi?

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

With the abundance of books available, you may find some at the local library. ESX 4 books may not be there yet but they are coming. ESX 3 books should get you up and running with V4 though.

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there a free resource for learning about ESXi?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator