VMware Cloud Community
webcie
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi inbound firewall????

Hello,

I'm expierencing a strange issue with a new installation on a HP DL320 G5 with an Adaptec 3405 raid controller. I've installed the latest build (110271) and all went well. So far so good. I've connected my to builtin NIC's and I've got an ip from DHCP. I used the console to change the ip-address from DHCP to a static address. I changed the ip-address but I wasn't able to login with the VI-client.

I tried to ping the address and after 1 succesfull reply (when the server completed a reboot), I only get time outs. I tried to ping from my workstation, from our DHCP-server and from the switch to which the esxi server is connected. They all timed out.

I then logged in into the "unsupported" tech mode. From the command line of the esxi I was able to ping all the devices in our network that I tried. I also was able to ping www.google.com.

I'ver ebooted the server serveral time while I ran "ping esxi -t" from a command line on my workstation. For a brief time the esxi actually replies and then it times out. It looks like a firewall that blocks incoming connection but allows outgoing connections but I can't find which service/daemon is responsible for this behavior. I tried to open ssh but I'm unable to establish a connection.

Any suggestions?

Jef

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi does have an inbound firewall, but to my knowledge it does not block ICMP traffic (I've never had my pings blocked). Can you put a traffic sniffer out there and try to see what's happening? I suspect that there's something else going on. On the network configuration, do you have just one NIC installed in the management switch, or are multiple ones active on the management network?

0 Kudos
webcie
Contributor
Contributor

I booted my server with a linux live cd (centos 5.2) and I was straightaway able to ping the server from my workstation. I tried every combination of the 2 nics. I rebooted every time in between.

Finally I changed the vlan id from "not set" (I didn't touch because we don't use vlan's in our office network) to "1" and back to "not set" and it seems for the moment that that solved the issue.

Thanks for your efforf

Jef

0 Kudos