VMware Cloud Community
JustVisiting
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi hangs on "Loading module e1000........"

My ESXi install was working fine until I added an Intel Pro/1000 MT dual port gigabit copper server adapter (PCI-X). My box is a Tyan Thunder Transport GT24 (B2881). This install has been rock solid without any issues. Even when I try to install a clean version of ESXi, it hangs in the same place. I figured that the if any NIC would work, an Intel pro would. My install is Update 2 110271. Help......

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SelvaMK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

this could be an irq conflict. I had faced similar issue with igb card. could you try installing 3i and after installing insert the card. Could you please try the following workarounds:

1. Insert the card in a different PCI slot

2. Install ESXi and then insert the card after installing.

3. chk in bios the interrupts taken by other devices with the card inserted.

Selva

0 Kudos
jerd
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a brand new Sun X4440 4-way AMD with 64GB that has two QLogic dual-channel HBAs and hangs 'Loading module qla2300_707_vmw" "Configuring VMKernel". I have tried loading using virtual media with ISO image as well as direct load from CD with no success. I haven't had a chance to rearrange cards yet, but all of the drivers seem to load very slow compared to HP DL580G4.

0 Kudos
SelvaMK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hey jerd,

The sun fire machine with qlogic card, yup, i have definitely faced this issue while testing. wats the build you are using? meaning ESX 3.5 U1 or U2. I believe that this has been corrected in U2, since U2 having the new qlogic driver.

Selva

0 Kudos
idingsdale
Contributor
Contributor

Just for info, I've had an x4440 from Sun on try&buy for a few weeks and having problems with ESXi and RAID card drivers.

The system came with an Adaptec card and froze when loading the AACRAID module. Sun sent me an LSI card to try, and then it freezes on the MEGARAID_SAS module. Its a more fundamental compatibility issue than the RAID card I think, although it does boot without a RAID card...

0 Kudos