VMware Cloud Community
RPHarris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi does not recognize cd/dvd on HP DL380

I'm new to the hypervisor and really need some advice regarding a DL 380 I'm setting up as QA box. After installing ESXi 3.5 I created the vm's I needed and proceeded to boot one of the vm's, but was suprised to see the server does not see the CD drive? I guess this would not be as suprising if it was a custom white box build, but an HP DL380, only one of the most common servers in the world?

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about what a fix is for this.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also, once you can convert many of your applications and or OS installs to ISO format, you can just use your Infrastructure Manager client and connect an ISO to whatever VM you need to have a "CDROM" inserted in to.

For instance, if you're going to install Citrix and you have an ISO copy locally or on your network, you can simply start the VM and then click on "connect/disconnect CD devices" and point it to your ISO image. VMWare will then mount the "CD" to the VM and it will be accessible just like a normal CDROM would.

At that point your local CDROM on the ESX box really isn't used for much anymore outside of upgrades to ESX 3.5, and even that is done remotely now for ESX 4.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Are you using 'host device" passthru in which case the VM should see the CD drive of the ESXi Host?

Or "Client device" in which case the VM should see a CD or ISO passed to it from the client connecting?

See attached pic

HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Which "server" are you referring to is not seeing the CDROM drive? (the VM or the ESXi server?)

HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also, once you can convert many of your applications and or OS installs to ISO format, you can just use your Infrastructure Manager client and connect an ISO to whatever VM you need to have a "CDROM" inserted in to.

For instance, if you're going to install Citrix and you have an ISO copy locally or on your network, you can simply start the VM and then click on "connect/disconnect CD devices" and point it to your ISO image. VMWare will then mount the "CD" to the VM and it will be accessible just like a normal CDROM would.

At that point your local CDROM on the ESX box really isn't used for much anymore outside of upgrades to ESX 3.5, and even that is done remotely now for ESX 4.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
RPHarris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did try this, but no luck

0 Kudos
RPHarris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Neither one, under Hardwae in ESXi there is no cd/dvd listed and when I create vm's it does list a cd/dvd, but there is no way to access or utilize it. The drive works fine I installed ESX using it and previously had 2K3 svr on this box.

0 Kudos
RPHarris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm going to try this out.

0 Kudos
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How'd it go?

0 Kudos
RPHarris
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked fine for server 2k3, I have not loaded the XP pro iso yet. I still have to run updates on 2k3 and install base apps.

I appreciate the quick response to my question. I was not expecting the issue with esx recognizing the cd drive. the 380 is a G3 box it has been around a while so I want to use for QA.

I did not check to see if the 2k3 vm sees the drive or not. I saw in another post that the vm's do see the drive.

Anway, best regards and thanks again.

Robert

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To use a CD drive in the VM you need to "connect" it. When you need to use the drive, edit the settings for the VM within the VI client. Select the drive in the hardware listing and select the Connect checkbox. If you need to boot from the CD after the OS has been installed check the Connect at power on check box. You will also need to increase the boot delay.See the attached. To access the CD at boot, connect to the console. Make sure you have clicked inside the console screen.The boot delay gives you 5 seconds to press the ESC key at which point you will be able to select the C.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos