VMware Cloud Community
SecureIP
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi didn't reply on a dell poweredge 1950 III

Hi, I have a brand new Poweredge 1950 III and I installed VMware ESXi 3.5 U3 on it. We start to install some VM on it but when the load start to be high, the ESXi stop and we need to reboot the server. Does somebody know why or have an idea? ESXi didn't give any logs or anything to solve the problem. Thx all for your help Smiley Happy

My server is: dual quad core Xeon 2.0ghz

5Gb ram

2x 1000Gb hd with RAID1

Dual powersupply

Dual network card

Currently only one VM running Centos and DirectAdmin (webhosting server).

p.s sorry for my english I'm french 😛

Olivier

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to ESXi forum.

This is generally related to a hardware problem you should do the following:

Ensure BIOS is setup for ESXi

Open hardware and reseat cards/memory and look for obvious issues (broken heatsink, etc)

Run memtest86+ for 24 hours

Run vendor hardware diags for 24 hours.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Author of the books 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment' available for pre-order now
'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might also want to upgrade to the latest release for ESXi and if you haven't already update the BIOS and firmware for all components. Does ESXi crash with a purple screen or anything like that? At the console of the host can you press ALTF1 and ALTF12 to see if there are any error messages?

0 Kudos
SecureIP
Contributor
Contributor

The server is in a Datacenter so I don't have access to the console screen. I will try the memtest for 48h and the full system scan for also a 48h. My BIOS is the leatest 2.5.0. I will also try to upgrade the firmware. thx all Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Sounds like bad ram, doing a burn-in test is definitely something I would do before installing and configuring any server at all for production use.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
SecureIP
Contributor
Contributor

I have done a memtest86+ (1 test) and no problem. I will restart the test but during 48h. I will see the result Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

When it stops are you getting a purple screen of death?

0 Kudos
SecureIP
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know... we are on a remote location so we can see the console screen and we don't have a kvm-ip.

0 Kudos
SecureIP
Contributor
Contributor

Memtest 86+: 48 passed 0 errors. I'm currently testing the harddrive and all other component with a Dell software.

0 Kudos