VMware Cloud Community
GeekWolf
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi becomes unstable when adding more memory.

I have a whitebox ESXi server running 3.5.0 build 163429. The system had been running perfectly stable (ie. over 2 months) then we desided to add another 4 GB of RAM to bring it to 8 GB total. Well only about 7-10 days after adding the memory it crashed. So we removed it back to 4 RMA'ed the memeory thinking well it must be had. But the new stuff in and sure enough in 7 -10 days CRASH. All of it is the same exactly Kingston memory (Kingston KVR667D2D8F5/2G DDR2-667 2GB ECC). I just cannot explain why its fine with 2x2GB sticks of that but becomes unstable with 4x2gb sticks. This whole chassy has been replaced so I dont think its the motherboard. Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you run the system using the 2 new sticks of memory to make sure they are not an issue?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

your server provider more than likely can provide a diagniostic utility that will test the components in the Server and identify what is at fault.

Run a full diagnostic, it may just be a faulty chip.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
GeekWolf
Contributor
Contributor

Well its a supermicro system they dont seem to have a tool for that.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Find some utility that can be used to boot from CDROM or flash drive and test your memory.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
GeekWolf
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we have UBCD I will try running a few tests tonight on my late shift and see if it thows anything.

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

This issue can be caused by the motherboard/memory combination. On one dell model below a bios update the system will crash if all the dimms are filled on the motherboard.

The issue is not caused by bad memory, it is just a motherboard memory timing issue.

dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The PSoD that you posted suggests that your problem is in PCPU 3, since you didn't specify your specific model ( or more specifically how many CPUs and how many cores per CPU ) I can't tell you which physical CPU that is. It looks like the TLB failed to acknowledge a request sent to it. I think you're barking up the wrong tree looking at the RAM.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does the machine use AMD CPUs?

Please aware points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
GeekWolf
Contributor
Contributor

The CPU is an Intel Quad Core Xeon E5420 2.5GHz. So bascily its either a memory timing issue or processor? I guess I still find it odd as it run fine with just 2x2 GB sticks but not with 2x4. Then again we have had other PSOD related to that.

0 Kudos