VMware Cloud Community
jonhutchings
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi and VC

Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy just management agents to allow esxi to be managed in an existing VI. One person on the VMware sales live chat said no, one person said yes but hasn't managed to come up with a price or where on the site they are listed...

Ta

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can't buy a VC agent license just on its own. You would need to instead purchase a VI Foundation license which includes the VC agent. See page 4 - http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vi_pricing3.pdf.

0 Kudos
jonhutchings
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah thats what the second guy at vmware said, but then he mentioned an agent pack (so I guess he got confused)

Interestingly the first person said ESXi would not work with VC so I didn't trust him Smiley Happy (after all I have an ESXi box in my dev VC on eval licenses!)

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

that is why turn to the forums we know all - also I am sure the agent pack he was referring to was the VC agent with DRS/HA and VMotion - you know by two license get two free so If you do plan to use vmotion/drs or has I would look at one of the bundled license packs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Gene_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

All I want/need is Virtual Center visibility on new ESXi 3.5 installs.

I am surprised that I can't purchase a virtual center agent only license for ESXi 3.5? I would think that vmware would want all of their VMs controlled and visible inside of Virtual Center (this really leaves the door open for other virtulization management console vendors!!!)

Even Foundation (starter) includes the virtual center agent.

Gene

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No you can buy a single VC agent license but if you are thinking about HA, DRS, Vmotion etc down the road it will be more cst effective to buy a bundled package -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nlancaster
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea where I can find information for just purchasing the VC agent license? I can't find anything and neither VMware or our vendor seem to be able to answer the question (they don't even agree on whether or not we need it).

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If VMware sales has not been forthcoming - find a local VAC and see if they can help -

0 Kudos