VMware Cloud Community
ssvanberg
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi and FreeNAS iSCSI, "unable to read partition information"

Has anyone used this setup? Successfully?

I've setup a FreeNAS system for iSCSI, and when I try to go to "Add Storage" in the VMware client, pick "Disk/LUN", I see the iSCSI device, but when I click "Next" the message "Unable to read partition information from this disk." comes up, and I cannot continue.

Can someone help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jnickel
Contributor
Contributor

I found that you had to create a partition - even though ESX is going to wipe it out - in order to get ESX to be able to "read partition information".

To do this, go into your Freenas and then Disks and Format. Choose your disk as the Device, EXT2 as the File system, Minimum Free space at 1 (don't know if this matters) and click the Format Disk.

Now try to add it to your ESX.

Lemme know how it goes!

Jim

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

It may not even need a partition, but perhaps just needs the DOS partition table to be written to the disk.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I used another initiator to attach to the disk first. Windows initiator works. As I recall ESXi didn't like a 0 LUN either.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Nemasis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its sounds to me like there is some sort of pre-existing file system on the disk that ESXi can't read. I ran into a similar problem adding a DAS disk. I had to zero the disk because it had a GPT partition table which ESXi didn't like. Also ESXi won't support LUNS over 2TB.

Nemasis

0 Kudos
nuttervm
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to confirm that if you choose the "device-base" extent option described in this freenas faq (http://www.freenaskb.info/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=287) that you have to format the drive to ext2 anyways despite the instructions that indicate you do not have to format it. The rest of the directions are correct however, that you should not have the partition mounted.

0 Kudos
Vins417
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The solution using for me :

To partitioning :

fdisk <name of disk>

Option : t (to change the partition format)

Number of your part : 1 (to choose the partition 1 for example)

Option : fb (to take the VMFS format)

And to format :

vmkfstools -C vmfs3 <name of disk> (to format and add this storage in ESXi)

It's for VMware ESXi.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Vins417 - Correction : no vmfstools but vmkfstools

0 Kudos
sysprobs
Contributor
Contributor

May be this article will be useful http://www.sysprobs.com/connect-freenas-iscsi-disks-vmware-vsphere-4-esxi4 to connect FreeNAS iSCSI disks with ESXi 4

0 Kudos