VMware Cloud Community
SamWiseTx
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Virtual Guest Machines not able to access the internet or ping gateway

Just installed ESXi on a HP Proliant server and installed 4 VM guests. I was able to get everything ok and even was able to hook up an iSCSI server with open filer. Everything is working fine except that none of my VM guests can go outside the VMnetwork. they can ping eachother and can ping the host ESXi but cannot ping the gateway.

Here is what I have

1 ESXi on HP Proliant with 2 Nics

1nic VM Network / Management 172.17.6.X/24

2nd iSCSI 172.17.60.0/24 Connects to iSCSI server (OpenFiler)

i have my management laptop on the 172.17.6.X network and I can access the internet just fine. My ESX server can ping outside addresses.

My iSCSI network is connected to a different Vlan on my physical switch wich only those 2 ports can see eachother.

I also have used my external DNS settings inside the VMs and still cannot access the internet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Silly questions but I will ask.

Are your VMs using Static IPs?

Is the Subnet mask for your VMs the same as the SC?

Can your VMs ping external IPs other than your gateway i.e. your Laptop (Just in case your gateway is a firewall with tight ICMP deny rules)?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

According to your netwrk design, your VMs will need to have IPs in 172.17.6.X/24 - do they?

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
SamWiseTx
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the IPs on the VMs are static and yes their subnet is the same on all of them.

I can only ping all vms, esx server. I cannot ping ping gateway 172.17.6.1 or any of other network computers such as my laptop 172.17.6.105

Subnet on all devices is 255.255.255.0

0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you ping your ESXi host from your laptop? If not, your VLAN configuration between your ESXi host and your (physical) switch does not fit.

0 Kudos
PaulWood
Contributor
Contributor

Hi SamWiseTx,

It sounds like you have a networking issue between your ESX host and the network. I'm guessing you have checked that your switch config has the ESX and your other network machines in the same VLAN. If you have not then that would be why you can not ping or connect out from your ESX host.

If you can check from your laptop that you can ping your ESX host. If this fails then you have switch config issues if your sure they are on the same subnet etc. It may well also be a good idea to do an ipconfig /all on one of your VM clients to see what information it is getting if you change it to DHCP (if you have a DHCP server on the network) to make sure that your clients can get out that way. Also check the ESX network config page to make sure you have that setup right with the correct gateway and dns settings etc.

Hope this helps and if so then please send me some pts.

Paul

kathirkk23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

is your esx server connected in to domain..?

please run this command and attach screen shot

vi /etc/sysconfig/netowork.

If gate way entry not there please put ur gate way and restart service once .

Regards

Kathir

Regards Kathir
0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK here is the situation as I understand it.

SC and 4 or so VMs using sam Vswitch.

VMS and SC have IPs in same subnet and have correct SM and GW set.

SC can ping IPs on systems external to vswitch and VMs cannot.

Is this correct?

I the above is correct do the VMS have host based firewalls?

Are you pinging by name and failing or by FQDN & IP

0 Kudos
SamWiseTx
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, My ESX and my VMs are all in the same subnet. They all have a network IP address of 172.17.6.X /24

MY VMs can ping eachother and can ping the ESXi but cannot ping the gateway.

I SSH into my ESXi and I can ping my laptop and an internet ip address. From my laptop I can ping my ESX with out any problems.

I configured the DNS and routing on the ESXiwith the following settings

Management Netowk Properties using a VMKernel Port

IP address 172.17.6.5 of the ESX

VLAN Id = None

IP Address 172.17.6.5

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway - 172.17.6.1

0 Kudos
SamWiseTx
Contributor
Contributor

logged into one of my linux VMs and when trying to ping the gateway I get the folloing response.

Destination Host Unreachable

0 Kudos
SamWiseTx
Contributor
Contributor

1. vi /etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes

HOSTNAME=vmserver01.falconbank.local

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

- /etc/sysconfig/network 2/2 100%

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Output of ifconfig -a on your VM?

And whats the IP of the gateway?

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
SamWiseTx
Contributor
Contributor

OK Guys we finally figured it out.

This is what we did to solve the problem.

Since I was already tired of editing the network settings on the host server, I decided to re-install ESXi to make sure that all the changes I had made did not make any conflicts.I moved my existing VMs into my iSCSI datastore.

I reinstalled ESXi on my host computer, and recreated my VMs. I then turned on my Vms and again they were not able to access the gateway therefore no internet.

We then knew that the problem was on our cisco switch and checked the logs on our Cisco Catalyst 500 and it reported that the port where we had our ESXi server plugged in had some problems and it denied access. It appears that the port only allows 1 IP address and that was why my internal Vms were being rejected from obtaining a DHCP request. We had configured the port to be a server port but for some reason the switch was denying requests from my vms and was blocking the access to the gateway. We reconfigured the port to be a router port and that allowed my Vms to obtain a DHCP address fom my dhcp router. Now i am able to go out to the internet on all Vms.

Well I just want to thank everybody that posted. It is great to have so many smart people in this forums that now makes me more confident on implementing a VMWare infrastucture in my workplace.

Thank you so much for your help and I will keep you posted on my deployment of VMware in my production enviroment.

GRACIAS,

!http://communities.vmware.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif!SamWiseTx!http://communities.vmware.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif!

0 Kudos