VMware Cloud Community
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi Software iSCSI Boot

I'd like to install ESXi on an iSCSI SAN and boot a few machines over the SAN via the iSCSI volume. The catch is this: the systems don't have iSCSI HBAs, they just have GigE network cards with iSCSI Boot ROMs (gPXE, actually). I'm got it partially working at this point - I have ESXi on an iSCSI volume, I've booted a machine via that volume. ESXi loads all of the files and starts up - right up until the point where it says: "Starting config script." At this point, it hangs for a while, and if I go to another console, I get a message that says: "PANIC: Failed to find USB boot partition."

Obviously I don't have a USB boot partition, nor do I want it to look for one. Does anyone know if there's a way to keep it from trying to find this, or if there's a way to force the iSCSI software service to start earlier so that the iSCSI volume will be available for ESXi to continue to boot?

Thanks - Nick

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Mike,

I am not sure if this would be related to the issue you are having but have to tried to add the usbBoot=FALSE at boot prompt?

Rgds,

J.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.

-

El Blog de Virtualizacion en Español

http://josemariagonzalez.es

-

nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Got a little further this time - now I get the following error:

PANIC: Failed to find SIMULATED boot partition.

0 Kudos
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Nick

Sorry to hear that. Not sure now why you are getting that error Smiley Sad

I would suggest you open a support ticket with VMware to fix the problem.

Sorry for not being of much help on this now

Rgds,

J.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.

-

El Blog de Virtualizacion en Español

http://josemariagonzalez.es

-

0 Kudos
englund
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

have you found any solution for this yet? Perhaps works with the latest U3 update?

How did you install ESXi to the iSCSI in the first place? I can't get the installer to see the target when booting from CD (using "option gpxe.keep-san 1;" in the dhcp config). Did you install to a local disk and copy the partitions or did you dig out the install manually from the iso?

Best regards,

Johan

0 Kudos