VMware Cloud Community
jimbowy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi Host Communication

Hello. I'm running a Dell 2850 Power Edge Server with ESXi 3.5 and one datastore with one virtual machine configured on the host. I have a Windows 2003 server with plenty of storage, and I'm trying to add storage using the Network File System method. I found an article at that does a good job explaining the steps necessary to complete, however, I am trying to connect to the Host server using the WinSCP tool outlined in the article, and it does not connect. I get "Network Error: Connection Refused". Using WinSCP, I am entering in the IP address of the Host machine, I am entering in the "root" administrator username and password. I have tried it on ports 22, and 88. And I am trying SFTP and Allowing for SCP Fallback. I don't think our router is blocking either of those ports, but have to think I'm missing a step somewhere, or something is configured wrong somewhere. I have the Windows Services for UNIX installed as well on the 2003 server. I need to connect to the Host in order to copy the /ect/password and the file /ect/group over to the 2003 server to continue trying to add storage. If anyone knows how I can get WinSCP to connect to the Host, I would greatly appreciate it. I've read their FAQs to no avail as well. Please let me know if you need additional information. Thanks, Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prakashraj
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

SSH is disabled in ESXi

to enable follow the steps in shttp://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php

Also refer

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
prakashraj
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

SSH is disabled in ESXi

to enable follow the steps in shttp://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php

Also refer

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos